• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl Full Of Balls, number 2

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Here is a pic of my latest, destined for the Instant Gallery in Phoenix. Big Leaf Maple Burl, 16+ inches diameter, 3+ inches deep. Balls are jatoba, Bloodwood, Birch, Black Cottonwood Burl, Ash and others. The bigger brother to this piece is going to the EOG auction. It is 19 inches in diameter. C&C welcomed

forWW_Wow.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill ,
I suspect you know the earth is not round. :)
It is an oblate spheroid.

No one has a picture of black hole since it does not reflect light although I hear Hawking is rethinking that.

That is why I said "planets" -- ;) . I am very familiar with the geodesy of the Earth since I designed navigation systems. The Earth is not a perfect sphere and it also is not an oblate spheroid even though you hear it often said. For almost all purposes, a spherical representation is adequate. A Geodesist would be satisfied with an oblate spheroid model, but a true mathematical model would be so complex that it would be of no use to anybody. For what it is worth, the oblate spheroid model of the Earth is far closer to a perfect sphere than it would be possible to achieve by trying to turn a wooden sphere.

I once tried to photograph a black hole, but it kept sucking in all of the light. :rolleyes:

Bill ,
I suspect you know the earth is not round. :)

The earth is flat, and there's no such thing as the Bermuda Triangle, all them ships and planes just went over the edge and "fell off" :rolleyes:

Beautiful bowl and balls bowlman!!
you create so many of those balls, each with their own details & embellishments, can't imagine the work that goes into them :)

Here is a pic of my latest, destined for the Instant Gallery in Phoenix. Big Leaf Maple Burl, 16+ inches diameter, 3+ inches deep. Balls are jatoba, Bloodwood, Birch, Black Cottonwood Burl, Ash and others. The bigger brother to this piece is going to the EOG auction. It is 19 inches in diameter. C&C welcomed

View attachment 7502

I love your bowl of balls there Bowlman.

May I ask what your process is for making the balls? Do you use a jig? Just the sphere part. I'm sure the texturing and such all take their own specialized process. (By all means elaborate if you care to, just trying to clarify my question.)

Website
www.dickgerard.com
I love your bowl of balls there Bowlman.

May I ask what your process is for making the balls? Do you use a jig? Just the sphere part. I'm sure the texturing and such all take their own specialized process. (By all means elaborate if you care to, just trying to clarify my question.)

James and all others who have asked ... I started making spheres/balls many years ago using the 3 axis method explained and demoed by Richard raffan on one of his first VHS tapes (yep, that far back, probably early 90's). I used that method exclusively for years. Recently, I began using a couple of the commercially available jigs. So now I use both. The 3 axis method is, I feel, the best all around method for spheres of any size. The jigs are fine as well, but small size spheres, say smaller than 1.5 inches, can be very iffy. When I get into production mode, as I have been recently, I begin with a spindle between centers, turn it round and make a tenon on one end. Mount the tenon in a 4 jaw chuck, nring up the tail stock. Then, following the directions from the jig maker, I proceed to rough out the sphere. Part it off and toss it in a box. Clean up the tailstock tenon and repeat until you reach the end of the spindle. After I get a box full of roughed out spheres, all still with small tenons on them, I go to one of 2 methods for finishing:

Method 1. Mount between cup chucks ala Raffan, turn off the nubbins, and sand to finish, usually starting at 120 and going up to 320 or 400 grit.

Method 2. Mount on my vacuum sphere finishing chuck and using poweranding, sand off the nubbins, and finish stand.

If the spheres are exotic wood or highly figured wood (burls, curly tiger quilted etc) I finish with oil and wax and Beall buffing. For plainer woods like plain maple, walnut, birch, etc. these may become subjects for carving, texturing, woodburning, coloring or any combination of the above.

Hope this info helps. If you or anyone else has questions, please let me know, only too happy to help.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I agree with Dick and use the 3 axis method most of the time and for smaller balls I find a jig works better.
Barbara Crocket has a nice write up on a 3 Axis method she uses:
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.woodturner.org/resource/resmgr/youth/youth_spheres.pdf

This is one of the young turners projects but they are good for kids 8-80.

I do balls a bit differently but the concept is the same.
When I do the ball in a ball demo I explain and show how I turn a ball.
I always turn off the nubs. It is fun and quick. Builds confidence.

I think turning a ball to be about the same complexity as a natural edge bowl.
The great thing about turning balls is it teaches you turn curves. The sphere is a known curve.
Once you master the spherical curve, the curves on the hollow forms and bowls improve.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info Hockenberry and Bowlman. I just recently started playing around with a ball jig I picked up at chefwarekits.com. I've only made a couple so far, but they're a lot of fun.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I turned an eight inch diameter ball a few months ago and was thinking about turning a couple cup centers to hold the ball when it occurred to me that I had just rough turned some bowls of the right size to serve the purpose. I installed a Talon chuck on my Oneway live center then chucked up a bowl in it. I did the same thing at the headstock spindle. I don't do a rigorous 3 axis thing. Instead, I reorient the ball roughly a quarter turn and turn away any part that looks transparent.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I turned an eight inch diameter ball a few months ago and was thinking about turning a couple cup centers to hold the ball when it occurred to me that I had just rough turned some bowls of the right size to serve the purpose. I installed a Talon chuck on my Oneway live center then chucked up a bowl in it. I did the same thing at the headstock spindle. I don't do a rigorous 3 axis thing. Instead, I reorient the ball roughly a quarter turn and turn away any part that looks transparent.

I rarely use the two cups.
I use a cup on the head stock end and 1/2" diameter flat pin with a leather pad on the tailstock end.

The best diameter for the cup is 1/3 the diameter of the ball.
This size is a good compromise of holding power and working room.

I use two cups when I turn balls from hollow logs.
They will have a hole in the middle so a cups tend to work a bit better since the cup can grips the perimeter of the hole.

If I'm doing larger balls I often employ my vacuum chucks that are close to my 1/3 diameter.

The photo shows the ball turned for the first time.

Al

Attachments

• image-1949665192.jpg
    image-1949665192.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I rarely use the two cups.
I use a cup on the head stock end and 1/2" diameter flat pin with a leather pad on the tailstock end.

The best diameter for the cup is 1/3 the diameter of the ball.
This size is a good compromise of holding power and working room.

I use two cups when I turn balls from hollow logs.
They will have a hole in the middle so a cups tend to work a bit better since the cup can grips the perimeter of the hole.

If I'm doing larger balls I often employ my vacuum chucks that are close to my 1/3 diameter.

The photo shows the ball turned for the first time.

Al

That is a good idea and I would do that too for smaller balls. The large 8 inch diameter ball that I made was from post oak and is pretty heavy. I didn't want to contend with something that big if it came off the lathe so I opted for something more secure. :rolleyes:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
That is a good idea and I would do that too for smaller balls. The large 8 inch diameter ball that I made was from post oak and is pretty heavy. I didn't want to contend with something that big if it came off the lathe so I opted for something more secure. :rolleyes:

As you said your method does not turn it round between centers to start so that would be a concern.

8" is not a problem with the pin and cup if it is round enough to fit in a 2.5" diameter cup.
The pressure from the tailstock is going to keep it in place and the piece is almost totally in balance.
Basically it can't go anywhere unless the cup or the pin breaks.

If you get a major catch you might pull it out of the cup but the you would probably pull it out if two cups.
Have fun

Al

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
BTW, I forgot to mention that to start things off, I use the method that you have shown in a pdf file. I can't remember exactly where I found it on the web, but anybody can just Google Hockenberry turning sphere.

EDIT: I decided to do some searching and found this thread where I turned my first ball a couple years ago. Post #5 gives a link to Al's instructions.

That got me very close to round. After parting it off, I went to mounting it between two cups. That was the easiest solution at the time because I was in a hurry and needed a quick solution.

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Looks like I may have started something ... again!

I have been turning about 50 spheres a year for the past 30+ years. I used to give them away to cusomers who purchased my higher end bowls. I always had a few left over so I sold those at craft and art shows that I did all over the midwest from 1986-1999. back then I only used the 3 axis+cup chuck methods.

In january 2013 I started thinking about using wooden spheres/balls more extensively. It was also in 2013 that I applied for a POP fellowship Grant to "investigate turned wooden spheres in woodturning". I was awarded that grant and purchased both the Chefsware kit and the Perfect Sphere Jig from the inventor/developer ( a real nice guy, btw). I have used them both and they have helped increase my productivity a lot. I would also like a crack at the Lindey Jig and the Vermec, but I don't have a wallet or credit card that could justify purchasing them both.

I still, use the cup chuck method and both jigs (one is on my delta midi and the other on my soon to be 30 year old General 260). Later this year I am going to turn some really large spheres ... around 16-18 inch diameter. That will be well beyong the capacity of any jig I know about so that will be work for the cup chucks. Will let you all know how that goes.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Now that will be an ambitious plan. I turned an 8 inch sphere and it was big enough for me. I can hardly imagine turning one that is 18 inches in diameter. Would you turn it green or try to find a piece of wood that large that is dry?

Looks like I may have started something ... again!

I have been turning about 50 spheres a year for the past 30+ years. I used to give them away to cusomers who purchased my higher end bowls. I always had a few left over so I sold those at craft and art shows that I did all over the midwest from 1986-1999. back then I only used the 3 axis+cup chuck methods.

In january 2013 I started thinking about using wooden spheres/balls more extensively. It was also in 2013 that I applied for a POP fellowship Grant to "investigate turned wooden spheres in woodturning". I was awarded that grant and purchased both the Chefsware kit and the Perfect Sphere Jig from the inventor/developer ( a real nice guy, btw). I have used them both and they have helped increase my productivity a lot. I would also like a crack at the Lindey Jig and the Vermec, but I don't have a wallet or credit card that could justify purchasing them both.

I still, use the cup chuck method and both jigs (one is on my delta midi and the other on my soon to be 30 year old General 260). Later this year I am going to turn some really large spheres ... around 16-18 inch diameter. That will be well beyong the capacity of any jig I know about so that will be work for the cup chucks. Will let you all know how that goes.

And there's yet another one by Carter.
http://www.carterproducts.com/lathe-parts-accessories/perfect-sphere/perfect-spheretm-tool#

So far I think the one by Vermec looks to be the best build. I have only used the chefware kits on so I'm just going by the look of the design. Brendan Stemp demos it in his video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLyreMoRoeE

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Looks like I may have started something ... again! I have been turning about 50 spheres a year for the past 30+ years. I used to give them away to cusomers who purchased my higher end bowls. I always had a few left over so I sold those at craft and art shows that I did all over the midwest from 1986-1999. back then I only used the 3 axis+cup chuck methods. In january 2013 I started thinking about using wooden spheres/balls more extensively. It was also in 2013 that I applied for a POP fellowship Grant to "investigate turned wooden spheres in woodturning". I was awarded that grant and purchased both the Chefsware kit and the Perfect Sphere Jig from the inventor/developer ( a real nice guy, btw). I have used them both and they have helped increase my productivity a lot. I would also like a crack at the Lindey Jig and the Vermec, but I don't have a wallet or credit card that could justify purchasing them both. I still, use the cup chuck method and both jigs (one is on my delta midi and the other on my soon to be 30 year old General 260). Later this year I am going to turn some really large spheres ... around 16-18 inch diameter. That will be well beyong the capacity of any jig I know about so that will be work for the cup chucks. Will let you all know how that goes.

Dick,
Maybe you have seen this jig. It handles spheres about as big around as the log you can find
I met Keith at the 2013 Florida symposium he was hanging out with Pete Richardson and looking to line up some big Florida woods to add to his collection.

http://hackaday.com/2012/06/13/making-giant-wooden-balls/

Al

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Now that will be an ambitious plan. I turned an 8 inch sphere and it was big enough for me. I can hardly imagine turning one that is 18 inches in diameter. Would you turn it green or try to find a piece of wood that large that is dry?

Bill, for anything that size I would turn it green and let it warp, crack, or whatever else it wants to do. In the Sheraton hotel at the AAW Symposium in Phoenix, there were 3 large balls, (or at least once upon a time they were spheres) made out of what looked like mesquite. Probably about 12 inches in diameter. Lots of "flaws" ... I mean character! They were really nice and I don't know if anyone else noticed.

Sheraton Spheres.jpg

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Dick,
Maybe you have seen this jig. It handles spheres about as big around as the log you can find
I met Keith at the 2013 Florida symposium he was hanging out with Pete Richardson and looking to line up some big Florida woods to add to his collection.

http://hackaday.com/2012/06/13/making-giant-wooden-balls/

Al

Al,
Yes, have seen that clip, but never met Keith. How does he deal with the unturned spot where the giant faceplate is attached? Curious minds want to know. And I must say, he has the biggest balls I have eve seen!!!!

BTW, I want to apoligize for not being able to personally congratulate you on receiving your Honorary Lifetime Award. Well deserved in my opinion. I do hope we can cross paths in Pittsburgh or Atlanta.

Website
www.dickgerard.com
And there's yet another one by Carter.
http://www.carterproducts.com/lathe-parts-accessories/perfect-sphere/perfect-spheretm-tool#

So far I think the one by Vermec looks to be the best build. I have only used the chefware kits on so I'm just going by the look of the design. Brendan Stemp demos it in his video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLyreMoRoeE

I have long considered getting the Vermec. Expensive it is (using my best Yoda voice). However, at the Symposium, I had a chance to use it. To say that this thing is well built is like saying that a Rolls Royce is well made ... understaement!

If my sales continue to improve, I will add the Vermec to my arsenal.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Al, Yes, have seen that clip, but never met Keith. How does he deal with the unturned spot where the giant faceplate is attached? Curious minds want to know. And I must say, he has the biggest balls I have eve seen!!!! BTW, I want to apoligize for not being able to personally congratulate you on receiving your Honorary Lifetime Award. Well deserved in my opinion. I do hope we can cross paths in Pittsburgh or Atlanta.

That is the thing about the AAW so many people.
I've been making a list of folks I missed seeing there....

Not sure how he takes off faceplate block

I know he does a lot of chainsawing to get close to round at the start

Al

Back