• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl Gouge Flute Shapes

I'm a relative beginner and I don't find that I really care about what the grind is. I really only turn bowls and started out only using carbide cutter insert tools because I didn't want to go through the trouble of sharpening. They work well but generally, as most will agree, require more sanding to get to a final finish, but I didn't realize that until I purchased and started using Ellsworth gouges and some Sorby scrapers. Then, of course, I had to learn how to sharpen which, because I already owned a Tormek, was really simple with the Tormek gouge jig. The turner who I originally learned the basics from, grinds his gouges at approximately 45 degrees while, the Ellsworth gouges are ground at 60 (or maybe 65) degrees. I just duplicated the grind that was on the tool when I bought it. Now I use both carbide and steel tools, depending on how I feel and what I'm doing. Anyway, a long post to get to a point. I agree the angle and type of grind aren't so important. What's important is that the turner gets a result that he/she is satisfied with. For me, there are some days and some bowl shapes where I just don't seem to be able get results with one tool so I use another.

Back