• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Brian Glendenning

My name is Brian Glendenning. I've been building up a hobbyist woodshop (2 car garage) over the last 10 years or so, and my latest (and likely last major) piece of equipment is a lathe (Powermatic 3520C). I bought it mostly for my wife who retired earlier this year and is interested in turning bowls, but I imagine I will use it some as well. We are starting with carbide tools.

We live in Socorro, New Mexico. A small town about an hour south of Albuquerque. It is very dry here - our starter bowl blanks have been cracking on the lathe - I guess we need to get faster. For my day job I work for an organization that builds and operates radio telescopes of all things. I'm in the software end of the business. One of our telescopes (Very Large Array, it was in the movie "Contact") is nearby.

I'm looking forward to learning from you guys, and probably asking lots of annoying newbie questions!

(Pic of my wife's first bowl attached).

Attachments

• IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    460 KB · Views: 20
I used to backpack in the Gila as well (middle fork of the Gila river was a favorite). Sadly I'm getting a bit old (to say nothing of out of shape) for backpacking and sleeping on the ground!

Welcome to the forum Brian.....You are in the right place. All the turners will share with you any information on woodturning and answer your questions.

Remember no question is a dumb question. That is a great first time bowl, your wife should be proud!;)

Back