• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bruce Miller

Obviously I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself to all.
I have zero experience with wood turning, just bought a lathe about a month ago (grizzly 766) and have been reading on this site about the craft of woodturning for about that long as well.
I've been a hobby woodworker with flat work for a good many years and belong to other sites where I recognize a lot of you from also.
I live in NYS (Catskill region) and have an abundance of blowdowns to cut up and practice on, once done I can heat my house with rejects that I turn, of which there have been many.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help that may be given as I trek down the trail of woodturning.

Bruce.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Bruce, Welcome,

if you have not already done so, connect with a local chapter of the AAW.
the best way to start is with a class or a mentor or seeing other turners.
local chapters cab help with finding other turners.

https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturn...spx?hkey=1c4d6fa8-6094-4dd1-888a-e0c3e2809c3e

I live in the country and have to drive 7 miles to spend money. So both chapters we belong to are an hour away. It is always worth the trip.

the AAW has a safety page. The SAFETY GUIDEBOOK is a free down load and has seven articles suitable for beginners.
https://www.woodturner.org//Common/Uploaded%20files/Safety/SafetyGuidebook-Bonus.pdf

AAW members have access the AAW has a directory of online videos that have been screened for safe and effective practices.
Using this directory avoids videos showing extremely poor and dangerous practices.
https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturn...spx?hkey=d5634394-9b01-4db5-b5df-76d8fdce171f

have fun
Work safely

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Obviously I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself to all.
I have zero experience with wood turning, just bought a lathe about a month ago (grizzly 766) and have been reading on this site about the craft of woodturning for about that long as well.
I've been a hobby woodworker with flat work for a good many years and belong to other sites where I recognize a lot of you from also.
I live in NYS (Catskill region) and have an abundance of blowdowns to cut up and practice on, once done I can heat my house with rejects that I turn, of which there have been many.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any help that may be given as I trek down the trail of woodturning.

Bruce.
Welcome aboard! Aloha from Maui.

Back