• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA debonder???

It's the stuff that is never within reach when you have glued yourself to some thing that cannot be moved.

It's that extra muscular effort and endorphine rush that hides the pain when you have to pull your fingers free from a CA bond. :D

I don't know of a chemical that will de-bond CA, but after making several epitheleal sacrifices to the Super Glue gods :eek: , I've learned to be intensely carely working with the stuff.

That's also why I'm a big fan of Titebond. Long work time. High tolerance of my stupidity. Very strong bonds. And I haven't lost any finger prints yet.

I've heard that old fashioned nail polish remover works well, the problem is getting the lathe into the bathroom to get it. :D (don't ever stick yourself to something you can't carry) (of course I've never done that!!!! lmao)

Last edited:
The "old fashioned" nail polish mentioned above has acetone in it. I use acetone, but it takes a while. It actually just "softens" the CA and only frees small increments. And my small bottle of actone is seldom where I need it when this happens. :eek: That's why I've started wearing latex gloves when using CA. The latex doesn't feel the same pain when I rip it free of the piece. ;)

Debonder

Most CA companies sell the stuff in little bottles, but if you happen to be near a drag strip on
SUNDAY SUNDAY, SUNDAAAAAAAY
you can probably get some for nothing. Nitromethane - Funny Car fuel. :d

Breaks the bond with a few drops immediately.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Mark Mandell said:
Most CA companies sell the stuff in little bottles, but if you happen to be near a drag strip on
SUNDAY SUNDAY, SUNDAAAAAAAY
you can probably get some for nothing. Nitromethane - Funny Car fuel. :d

Breaks the bond with a few drops immediately.

That's the stuff... thanks

You might be able to buy some model airplane fuel at a hobby shop.
It contains a percentage of nitro along with castor oil.
It might have enough nitro to do the trick if no grag strips are available.

Mark.

Back