• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Can't find a V belt!

Website
www.mninc.com
I've been to three automotive stores in town and can not find the belt necessary to finish the VS Motor upgrade I'm doing to my Woodfast lathe. I purchased a Vicmarc stand for it which involves mounting the motor differently. The project is complete sans the new belt. I need a 50" 6 Rib 9/16 Poly-V (Micro-V) belt. I've been tearing across the internet for hours and the closes thing I can find is a 6PK1270 Good Year belt but nowhere does it state the width of this belt. Is there a resource for purchasing flat belts (or more specific Micro-V) for non automotive application? Any advice is appreciated.

Greg

did you try looking at a real hardware store rather than the box monstrosities that pass themselves off as such?

Poly V belt info

Aloha Greg,
Go to http://www.aarubcorubber.com/ and use the contact info to call them on Monday. They have furnished me with odd belts before. But first, a little info.
Poly Vee belts have 3 different pitch designations.
J = 3/32" rib spacing and comes in 4,6,10 &16 ribs
L = 3/16" rib spacing and comes in 6,10,12,14,16,20 ribs
M = 3/8" spacing and comes in 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, & 20 ribs
From your info and my experience with wood lathes, your belt should be a "J" spacing with 6 ribs, and that would 9/16 width. According to my Browning catalog, they make them in 49', then 52" is the next step. The part # would be 490J6 for 49" and 520J6 for the 52" Check with Aarubco if they can furnish a 500J6 for you. I bet they can.
Doug
:cool2:

Website
www.mninc.com
Thank you for that info. I will call them. You are correct, it is a type J unfortunately 49 is a hair too short and 51 a hair too long. The Vicmarc stand doesn't provide a lot of throw and if I try to raise the motor, it hits metal. I'd rather try to find the correct belt before I dig out the saw and start cutting up my $600 stand (man that was painful).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
sifugreg said:
Thank you for that info. I will call them. You are correct, it is a type J unfortunately 49 is a hair too short and 51 a hair too long. The Vicmarc stand doesn't provide a lot of throw and if I try to raise the motor, it hits metal. I'd rather try to find the correct belt before I dig out the saw and start cutting up my $600 stand (man that was painful).
I think that what you need is a spring loaded idler pulley. They are similar to the idlers on auto serpentine belts. Using an idler is much better than ridgidly locking down the pulley positions because the latter can't control tension. Therefore, the longer belt along with an idler should work.

Bill

Try a Bearing supply House

Greg,
Is any of these places near you?
http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Bearings+Dealers/S-WA/
Most bearing houses carry belts also.I've checked several other places (McMaster Carr, Grainger,MSC, etc) and they all have the same gap 49"-52". AArubco still might be the best bet.
BTW, are you sure about your measurement? I found that they measure the circumference of the OD of the belt.
Alohaa, Doug :cool2:

Website
www.mninc.com
I would certainly agree with that one. I just bought the Vicmarc stand for my old Woodfast lathe and it's rather specific in it's design and there would be no place to mount a pulley. I'll look at it a bit closer thought.

boehme said:
I think that what you need is a spring loaded idler pulley. They are similar to the idlers on auto serpentine belts. Using an idler is much better than ridgidly locking down the pulley positions because the latter can't control tension. Therefore, the longer belt along with an idler should work.

Bill

Website
www.mninc.com
Yes, you nailed that one. Armed with the info you provided above, I found exactly what I needed from a place called Houston Bearing (www.houstonbearing.com) for $8.13 ;p

Now, hopefully today I will finish my project which is building the varialbe speed control circuit for a 2HP DC motor. All for under $100. I'll share with all when it's done and working.

Greg

Hawaii Turner said:
Greg,
Is any of these places near you?
http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Bearings+Dealers/S-WA/
Most bearing houses carry belts also.I've checked several other places (McMaster Carr, Grainger,MSC, etc) and they all have the same gap 49"-52". AArubco still might be the best bet.
BTW, are you sure about your measurement? I found that they measure the circumference of the OD of the belt.
Alohaa, Doug :cool2:

Back