• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Carbide Cutters for Hollowing Tool

Will any replacement cutter work with my hollowing tool; i.e., are they standard size and thread?

Thank you, Stan Messick

Most of Mike Hunters tools if not all can be used for hollowing. These tools cover a lot of sizes of carbide cutting inserts. For many years I only used John Jordan and Kelton hollowers for deep hollowing. Mike Hunter brought out 2 bars for hollowing in conjunction with his tools that takes deep hollowing to another level. Now I still use Jordan and Keltons but having the Hunters adds a third facet to hollowing. Although I have bought a couple extra hunter carbide inserts I have yet to need to change any cutter on any of the Hunters I own as they last an incredibly long time.

I took measurements of my carbide cutters and have been buying them from this company for a few years now. Important thing is the screw hole diameter. You can always grind the holder portion a bit to fit if needed. Their prices are very reasonable.

Dont know what tools you have. Most carbide cutters are made for their own tools. However mike hunter makes some cutters tamhat will fit John Jordan's hollowing tools and also makes one with a 3/16" square shank that will fit a few other brands.
I did not know this! I recently bought a set of Jordan 3/4" tools from John. I'd considered carbide because I thought they might perform better on resin or resin/wood projects and ultimately went w/ standard cutters. This info could save me from buying a second set in the future.

Will any replacement cutter work with my hollowing tool; i.e., are they standard size and thread?

Thank you, Stan Messick
No. As mentioned different mfrs may use different center hole sizes and shapes, as well as cutter thickness, and different screw head shapes, threads, and lengths.

If you spend the time you can sort through a lot of it. AZ Carbide has a crossover chart showing various mfr tools/cutters and their replacement. They also have replacements for at least some Hunter cupped cutters.

I never went down the rabbit hole of buying carbide tools from mfrs. I decided to make my own handles and shafts and buy carbide inserts. With a propane torch, 4” hand grinder, bench grinder, files, and drill and tap capability you can copy about any of the curved and straight (easy) tool shafts available, up to 1/2” dia (larger dia get difficult to heat enough to bend). My favorite insert is an 8.9 mm round flat top, cheap on ebay. I’ve made ~ 10 hollowing tools of various dia and curvature for different sized vessels, all using the same cheap insert. It does take time and some metal working skill. If that doesnt appeal to you the ready made tools are they way to go.

For hand held hollowing tools I prefer the carbide insert because it doesnt cut as well as a 3/16” hss cutter, and doesnt dig in as easily - easier to control.

The link I provide does show carbide tools that Global sells. However they sell all sorts of carbide cutters for very reasonable prices. They average about $3-6 for a single cutter. Far cry from the wood stores prices and/or the manufacturer. Same quality of carbide! At those prices its worth checking out....cheap enough to test. They are located in Springfield Oregon and manufacture a lot of carbide tools for the lumber industry - large planer blades, saw teeth for mills and feller/bunchers etc.

Back