• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Care to give some inspiration with some different shapes of snowmen photos?

I usually turn my snow people with the shape of insects in mind, a smaller head, a little larger thorax, and an elongated abdomen. View attachment 58547
See, inspiration. Tomorrow I'll have to look around for a piece of wood that will take a better polish than the wet silver maple and possibly hackberry that I used for mine. Yours have a more detailed/refined look about them.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
If you want a challenge, try an inside out snowman - recent article in either woodturning FUNdamentals or American Woodturner detailed that, and I did one a long while back on my own initiative trying to figure out inside out turning in general... just need to be able to cut 4 precisely equal square blanks and figure out temporary glue joints (and keeping them aligned perfectly) ... As for design, I have turned maybe a grand total of four or five to "test the waters" of what might sell at local christmas bazaar... but Birdhouses, Lanterns and Spin Tops are still my best sellers.....

Doing a multi-axis turning to put the hat at a jaunty angle helps both the appearance and keeping the turning process more interesting.
I watched a video last night from the quad cities about turning birds off axis and had thought about that for a snowman. Then I also thought why not just turn the hats separate in a different wood even then stick them on.

So apparently I've been collecting pictures of snowman. :) Sam, I hope this is what you're looking for....
IMG_20171227_092004.jpg
Not snowman but they could easily be painted as snowman.
PXL_20221216_170136265.jpg
One my FiL turned
PXL_20221023_210709756.jpg
Obviously I didn't turn this but it could easily be and I liked the shapes.
IMG_0622.JPG
Not turned ;) but you could turn an off axis snowman, like turn their hat off axis so it sits on the side of their head.

I’ve been playing with snowmen myself for the last few days. It’s amazing how much you can change the shape and still have a snowman.

The two larger ones here are large sections from a tree that came down a couple days ago. I drilled holes up the middle of them to try to keep them from cracking. We’ll see how it works.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpeg
    IMG_0271.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 30

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I watched a video last night from the quad cities about turning birds off axis and had thought about that for a snowman. Then I also thought why not just turn the hats separate in a different wood even then stick them on.
That's what you would do if driven by speed and efficiency. Sometimes I do things the hard way to alleviate boredom.

That's what you would do if driven by speed and efficiency. Sometimes I do things the hard way to alleviate boredom.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not artistic and I'm going to have to settle for being a better craftsman and work on speed/efficiency and construction.

Lots of lessons learned turning the %$$# eyeballs! First one was if you drop one on the floor it's worse than dropping a stainless screw in the chips. One session and I learned don't try and duplicate each one just make a bunch of them and look for matches!

Attachments

• PXL_20231220_024213766.jpg
    PXL_20231220_024213766.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Lots of lessons learned turning the %$$# eyeballs! First one was if you drop one on the floor it's worse than dropping a stainless screw in the chips. One session and I learned don't try and duplicate each one just make a bunch of them and look for matches!
Eyeballs! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018QOUSM6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Sam those are pretty good! Don't rule out your artistic ability yet. Are those matchstick arms? If so, that's a pretty good idea.

I didn't even look for eyeballs online. Amazon pretty much has everything don't they.

Thought about inlay for the eyes and buttons but I had already finished the body and didn't want to change that. Usually just use a sharpie . Lump of coal doesn't have to be perfect.
The arms are just representational.
3/8 dowel I had around.

The snowman is not quite 11 inches tall. (Not exactly a tree hanger)

Still messing around on the quickies!
Amazing what some eyebrows will do.
Turns your sweet innocent snowman into a mischievous looking character. Or looks that way to me anyway.

Attachments

• PXL_20231224_231532972.jpg
    PXL_20231224_231532972.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 15
I’ve been playing with snowmen myself for the last few days. It’s amazing how much you can change the shape and still have a snowman.

The two larger ones here are large sections from a tree that came down a couple days ago. I drilled holes up the middle of them to try to keep them from cracking. We’ll see how it works.
I've given up on trying to prevent cracking and am embracing it.

I've been turning logs round and putting tenons on then putting them on the shelf to crack as they want and I'll fill with some nice glittery epoxy in the fall and then turn my snowmen.

Hopefully with better results.

Going for a 10-15 inch snowman for display. Or guess you could hang it on a really big tree.....

Back