• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ceramic guideblocks

Consider ceramics for guides. They wear like the rock they are, while remaining slicker than the ice after the Zamboni passes. I even use ceramic thrust "bearings" on mine now. Goo-free and I'd have resurfaced my cool blocks a half dozen times and replaced them once in the couple years since the ceramics.

found some at http://www.spaceageceramicguideblocks.com/ ask for nick
he even had rounds that fit my weird bottom guides tell him charlie sent ya :D

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
There was a recent review of them in Wood recently, and the interesting thing they didn't merntion were sparks that I get off of my Laguna ceramic guides.

Do you get sparks off of your guides?

Steve Worcester said:
There was a recent review of them in Wood recently, and the interesting thing they didn't merntion were sparks that I get off of my Laguna ceramic guides.

Do you get sparks off of your guides?

Stone and steel - has to be. The manufacturer refers to them as "cold" sparks and declares them inconsequential. Here to tell that if you've been cutting punky wood and have dust under the insert, it'll light it off.

Imagine if you were pulling a vacuum all the time wouldn't be a problem.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
gran said:
My 14" Grizzley has rollers instead of blocks. Does anyone know if it can be adapted
They make a euro roller replacement and a thrust brearing replacement, so they might.
I emailed them today to see if they have replacements for my Laguna, let's see how long it take for them to reply.

Back