• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Changing handles

I recently got a new Ben Best 5/8" bowl gouge. The handle is only 13" long vs the last one I got, which was 19" long. I want to turn a new handle for it but am not sure of the best way to remove the original one. Any good ideas?

Here’s how I do it, and many have been Bens Best tools:

Needed: hand held propane torch, uses smallish camping propane bottle that screws to the torch, strap wrench, bench vise

Place the steel far end of tool into the vice, I use leather to prevent marks. Locate the flute edges against the vice jaws so the tool wont turn. Adjust the strap wrench to fit around tthe wooden handle, hold it in place while heating the steel, close to the ferrule. I test with the strap wrench before heating, a time or 2 I didnt need heat. Just keep heating and testing with the strap wrench until the handle breaks free, and just spin it around a few times to reduce friction, while applying some side pressure with the wrench and pulling with the other hand.

I recently got a new Ben Best 5/8" bowl gouge. The handle is only 13" long vs the last one I got, which was 19" long. I want to turn a new handle for it but am not sure of the best way to remove the original one. Any good ideas?
If you don't want to save the old one, you could just cut or split the handle off.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thank you, gentlemen. I did think about splitting it with an old chisel, but then thought I might be able to use it some other way.

You can knock the handle off most tools.
What I do is clamp the tool in a vice put a wrench that fits close to the tool and rests on the handle
Hit the wrench with a big hammer. That will knock it off.

Put something soft on the floor to catch the handle.

A few light hits with a 4lb hammer has always worked for me.
Heat will break down CA or Epoxy glues.

I do have some 'old' gouges that I need to remove so I can put new ones in. My method would be the same as Al's. Clamp it in a vice, and a few good shots from a hammer, and it should slip out. I have never needed glue to hold my gouges in. I even found an old vice made by Reed Mfg. in Pennsylvania. Reed is my real name....

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thanks, Al, that sounds easy enough. I will try to get out to the shop this weekend and play...er, work on it
Like Reed I rarely glue my gouges in. I seat them in the handle by holding it vertical and banging the butt of the handle on the floor or a workbench. Once in a great while a gouge will turn a little in the handle - then I add a few drops of thick CA to the hole and reseat the gouge.

Back