• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Charles Farrar

I was pleasantly surprised to see Steve Forrest's article on Charles Farrar in the latest issue of American Woodturner. Charles came to demonstrate to our club in Cleveland 7-8 years ago. He was a big influence on me as I was in the beginning stages of my hollow form journey. I fell in love with his use of natural finials and frequently look for opportunities to include one in my pieces. I hadn't heard any mention of Charles for several years, and wondered what happened, until finally getting some explanation in Steve's article. Here is the first hollow form with a natural finial that I did back in 2017, compared to the piece that inspired me, which also was on the cover of the magazine. (Looks like my photography setup has also improved compared to 7 years ago, too).

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 41
Interesting, Michael, I like it. As I read your words "natural finials", the first thing to pop into my head was small polished stones, like river stones that have gone through a rock tumbler polishing process. (Probably because we have a small ceramic bowl full of them in our home. Hobby stores, and other places, sell rock tumblers.) I suppose with a keen eye, many different natural items could fit the purpose. Nice work.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Steve Forrest's article on Charles Farrar in the latest issue of American Woodturner. Charles came to demonstrate to our club in Cleveland 7-8 years ago. He was a big influence on me as I was in the beginning stages of my hollow form journey. I fell in love with his use of natural finials and frequently look for opportunities to include one in my pieces. I hadn't heard any mention of Charles for several years, and wondered what happened, until finally getting some explanation in Steve's article. Here is the first hollow form with a natural finial that I did back in 2017, compared to the piece that inspired me, which also was on the cover of the magazine. (Looks like my photography setup has also improved compared to 7 years ago, too).
Great minds think alike.;)

Back