• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Christmas tree turning

Has anyone used their christmas tree for turning once it was taken down. I got a nice size frasier fir this year with about a 5" diameter trunk and was wondering if it is worth the effort. I know it's knotty with all those limbs but could be interesting. Just curious.

Bryant

I've never done it but I've seen some neat pieces from fir and pine trees.

Some species have each year's branches all grow at the same level. Cutting a slice from the trunk that includes these branches and then turning it to a shallow 5" bowl produces some awesome radial grain patterns.

yes I have turned my the previous years christmas tree. I have only made christmas tree ornamets from it but it worked out well.
Stacey

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Wear a face shield and be prepared to be spattered with pitch. Even kiln dried conifer lumber can really sling out some sticky stuff when turning. Keep your favorite solvent handy to clean your tools, tool rest, lathe, hair, arms, fingers, face sheilld....

you get the picture.

Back