• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck Gardiner

Another newbie, both to the forum and turning. I have one of the inexpensive Harbor Freight floor lathes. Turning is something I've wanted to do for quite a while, but never made time for it.

My main workshop is around 25 by 13. This is where all the woodworking tools reside. I have a second room which I refer to the hobby room which is around 14 by 10. The hobby room is dedicated to non-dusty activities. Both rooms are currently a bit disorganized. My long term plan is to build workbenches and cabinets in both rooms to make better use of the space. In addition to getting started with turning, I'm currently working on the detailed layout for the workshop room.

The workshop has a pretty good collection of the standard workshop tools, including table saw, bandsaw, drill press, jointer, planer, dust collector, and the lathe. There are a few other things I want, but until I spend the time making the room work better, I won't spend any more money on additional toys.

I've been spending lots of time reading and watching youtube videos on turning. I also recently talked with a few friends at work about finding wood for turning. It's been like opening the flood gates. I started by cutting some wax myrtle from my backyard. Then a friend let me cut a small sugarberry from a lot he owns. He also gave me a 10 foot long cedar log that he's had for a year or two. I'm not sure about the cedar, it has a fair amount of cracking. I've yet to cut in in pieces to see what the inside looks like. A few weeks later we went to another piece of land he owns and removed a small cherry tree and part of a chinaberry. We need to go back eventually and remove the rest of the chinaberry. Not long after getting the chinaberry, another friend told me she had some eucalyptus that a relative had cut a while ago. She gave me a few pieces of that to try. And finally, yet another friend has some river birch growing next to his house that he wants gone. He cut some of it last weekend. So, now I have more wood than I can deal with. I haven't bought any sealer yet, so I painted the ends of all the green wood with some leftover latex paint.

A few weeks ago I got started trying to turn something.

These two things were my first attempts. They were from one of the chinaberry branches. I had no specific goal other than beginning to learn to turn some shapes. I didn't yet have the adjustable chuck, so I felt a bit limited with what I could do. When I finished, I coated them with mineral oil and left them out to see how they behave as they dry.
20190212_214402-a.jpg

The next picture shows the larger chinaberry logs and in the lower right, one of the eucalyptus logs after a session with the chainsaw.

20190216_161304-a.jpg

The eucalyptus has been cut for several years, but was stored without sealing the ends so it has a fair amount of checking. Before I tried turning any of the logs, I bought a Nova G3 chuck. This next picture shows an attempt at a bowl from one of the pieces of eucalyptus. Unfortunately, not long after this picture I got a fairly significant catch and tore a big chunk out of it. After some research, I figured out why I got the catch and hopefully will not make that mistake again. I haven't thrown the piece away, but if I try to finish it, I will need to turn it significantly smaller.

20190216_205036-a.jpg

After the failed attempt with the eucalyptus, I switched to one of the wax myrtle branches. I don't know what to call this next thing, I decided on the shape as I went. The myrtle cut very easy and was fun. I sanded this to 400 grit, coated with mineral oil, and put in a box with shavings to let it dry.

20190218_221103-a.jpg

And here is the final thing I've done so far. This is from one of the chinaberry logs. I started by cutting an appropriately sized cardboard circle and then trimming on the bandsaw.

20190219_181909-a.jpg

Then I mounted it on the lathe using the woodworm screw that came with the G3.

20190219_182830-a.jpg

And finally, the almost finished bowl. This has been sanded to 400 and coated with mineral oil. I left the tenon on it in case I want to fine tune the shape after it dries. After taking a few pictures, this went in the box of shavings along with the myrtle piece above.

20190219_232231-a.jpg

Another pic of the chinaberry bowl. I left the sides fairly thick and it clearly needs more finishing, but I feel like I made decent progress.

20190219_232243-a.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for letting me join the site and I look forward to learning.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum,

Chinaberry is a nice wood to turn. You got a nice curve on the bowl.
The grain in chinaberry does real well with liming wax.

The dry eucalyptus is likely to be a bit harder to turn if it is like the eucalyptus we get here in Fl
Realizing there are many species yours may not be a rock yet.

Welcome to the forum,

Chinaberry is a nice wood to turn. You got a nice curve on the bowl.
The grain in chinaberry does real well with liming wax.
I like it so far. We cut rwo of the four trunks from the tree. The remaining ones are larger. We're going to take those down in a month or so. I'll have enough for a really long time.

I haven't heard of liming wax, have to do some research...
The dry eucalyptus is likely to be a bit harder to turn if it is like the eucalyptus we get here in Fl
Realizing there are many species yours may not be a rock yet.
It is pretty hard and not much fun. The person I got it from has a lathe which was handed down from a relative. She and her boyfriend haven't turned anything on it yet, but they did take a pen turning class. They don't have the necessary tools to get the logs to a usable size. I'm going to try one more bowl and will probably cut the other two logs into bowl and pen blanks for her.

Welcome. You are off to a running start. Your turnings look good. Keep going- practice is how we learn.
Both rooms are currently a bit disorganized.
Are shops or rooms supposed to organized? My wife organized our basement with storage boxes. Took one box and made three. Now I have to sort through three boxes instead of one. Fortunately, she did label them.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
is pretty hard and not much fun.

One joy is the fun of turning green wood.
Hollow forms and Natural Edge bowls are usually done from green wood and The warping is a plus. As well as being finished in days.
Double turned bowls the hard work is done green then there is just a little bit of dry dusty turning when dry.

Welcome to the forum. Not sure why you are using mineral oil unless it is for food use. Otherwise you might want to try boiled linseed oil or a danish oil finish such as Watco. It does look like you are making good progress. You might want to look for a turning club and get answers on your turning and demos of technique.

Welcome to the forum. Not sure why you are using mineral oil unless it is for food use. Otherwise you might want to try boiled linseed oil or a danish oil finish such as Watco. It does look like you are making good progress. You might want to look for a turning club and get answers on your turning and demos of technique.

Thanks. The reason for the mineral oil is I already had it to use on the vinyl in the boat and I wanted to get something on the wood while I was looking into other finishes. After I put these things away to dry I did actually pick up a can of Watco and a finishing wax to try. There is a club in Columbia which I may eventually join, but for now I usually have schedule conflicts with their meeting times.

One joy is the fun of turning green wood.
Hollow forms and Natural Edge bowls are usually done from green wood and The warping is a plus. As well as being finished in days.
Double turned bowls the hard work is done green then there is just a little bit of dry dusty turning when dry.
Yes. There are so many different things to try. Fortunately, I've been able to accumulate a bunch of wood in a short time, so I have plenty of material to play with.

Welcome. You are off to a running start. Your turnings look good. Keep going- practice is how we learn.

Are shops or rooms supposed to organized? My wife organized our basement with storage boxes. Took one box and made three. Now I have to sort through three boxes instead of one. Fortunately, she did label them.
Thanks. My wife mostly stays out of my man cave. I agree about some lack of organization, but I'm having to move too many things around in order to start a new project. I also have tools and supplies that are still in boxes from when we moved. I'm reluctant to take them out because I don't have the space to put them away when I'm done. With the lathe I'm trying to force myself into a habit of cleaning up when I finish something.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Mineral oil is a petroleum product which doesn't catalyze nor does it ever dry. The surface may feel dry because it will continue to soak into the wood until it reaches equilibrium throughout the wood. Mineral oil is suitable for treenware, but requires periodic reapplication. It is sometimes used with beeswax or carnauba wax to help with repelling water. Since it forever remains oily this means that it isn't compatible with catalyzing oils and may create a problem with film finishes adhering very well.

Mineral oil is a petroleum product which doesn't catalyze nor does it ever dry. The surface may feel dry because it will continue to soak into the wood until it reaches equilibrium throughout the wood. Mineral oil is suitable for treenware, but requires periodic reapplication. It is sometimes used with beeswax or carnauba wax to help with repelling water. Since it forever remains oily this means that it isn't compatible with catalyzing oils and may create a problem with film finishes adhering very well.
Thanks Bill, I'll avoid the mineral oil long term. I have bought some Watco salad bowl oil and Minwax Finishing Wax to experiment with. I will also pick up some danish oil based on many recommendations.

Back