• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck jaw numbers

1. Is it necessary to match the jaw number to the slide number when changing jaws?
If your answer is yes please explain.
If no please explain.
2. It is obvious why jaw slides are numbered. Why are jaws numbered?
Tim

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Depends on the chuck.
But if the slides and jaws are numbered you should match them.
Not all manufacturers number their jaws.

what is essential is to thread The slides on in order as you go around putting each on the lead thread of the chuck.

jaw are usually machined round, drilled, and cut into 4 pieces.
So putting them in numerical order puts them back like they were before being divided.

I've heard some serrated jaws can have spiral threads that keep a piece tightened on to the chuck. If this is the case then the jaws need to be in the right order. Matching them up with the numbers on the chuck is important if one jaw has pin. The pin should line up with a slot in the chuck body to keeps the jaws from opening to wide (causing the slides to drop out).

John said
Depends on the chuck.
But if the slides and jaws are numbered you should match them.
Not all manufacturers number their jaws.

My question was why?
I own or have owned the nova Midi Supernova G3 Super Nova2 chucks and many sets of jaws.
All of these jaws will fit all of these chucks. They are interchangeable. Any number chuck jaw will bolt to any jaw slide in any Nova Chuck.
So what is the special relationship between all these different number 1 jaw slides and number 1 jaws.
John your assessment of the manufacturing presses is right on. Jaws should be kept in sets not mixed with other sets. All number 1 50 MM jaws are manufactured as part of a whole (as John described) and not interchangeable. If you damage a jaw beyond repair throw the whole set away as individual jaws are not sold for Nova chucks
The jaw slides are not interchangeable. They must’ve installed in sequence or the chuck won’t work.
Number 1 jaw slides for the G3 are manufactured individually and are exchangeable with other G3 number1 slides. If damage a jaw slide, a replacement slide can be purchased.
So, why should must number 1 jaw go on number 1 slide?

Not trying to be contentious just trying to understand
Thanks for your consideration

Tim

Repeatability.
Maintaining as much consistency in your tooling environment is important to achieve repeatable results.
The wood introduces enough variables on it's own without having to adjust to different chucks, grinds, etc.

As long as the Nova jaws are kept in the 1-2-3-4 (clockwise) sequence, it probably wouldn't make too much difference which slide you start with. As Mark points out, though, there might be a slight variation from one slide to the next and why not minimize variability when possible.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
QUOTE="Timothy White, post: 151792, member: 22616"]Bill: When I click on this link it brings me to this post. What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

Timothy, editing on an iPad is a challenge especially sometimes when it makes us it's mind that it's right. Hopefully, my stubbornness has prevailed over the machine. Hopefully, I have successfully edited that post to reference the on that I intended. I need to also give my opinion on why.

I'm not sure about Oneway. Their premium profiled jaws might be die cast and the profile allows for a lot of contact area for a wide range of jaw diameters. If you haven't spoken directly to Oneway folks, I I would encourage you to do that because it beats idle speculation by people like me on the Internet.

I believe that Vicmarc jaws are machined from a single disk and then sawed (or machined) into quarters. This is very important because the width of the kerf or gap between the jaws represent the "perfect circle" diameter. I'm not up to speed on other chuck jaws.

As far as worrying too much about the fine details, this is wood and not parts for a he ISS.

Wood moves a lot as it dries and there a various waways of dealing with it so don't get overly concerned. I use both Oneway chucks and they both have their advantages. It took me many years to recognize what I like about both. So, if yo want a silver bullet answer, there isn't one.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I havent read all.of the replies. I was told by a Vicmarc rep that their jaws were accurate enough that it did not matter. Hensaid they numbered them because that's what people were used to and it simpler just to number them and not have to argue. The inner jaws must be placed in order because of the way they fit the spiral ring that opens and closes them. If you disassembled them it doesnt matter which opening you start with when putting them back in but you must start with jaw 1 and stay in order or they wont line up in a circle when your done.

For any scroll type chuck, as you go around the circle of the chuck, starting at the lead in of the scroll form, the distance from center increases. In order for the jaws to be centered on the chuck, the slides need to be ordered 1-2-3-4. The matching partial scroll form on each slide is machined with on offset (or not, mfr depending) to create a perfect circle of the bolt holes , and then jaw1 can be put anywhere, and the others mounted in order due to the previously described mfg process.

Some mfrs may not offset the slides or holes but machine the jaws for specific location, and these need to be matched slide to jaw. There a a few other ways this can be done, but it all about the scroll form radius constantly changing, and then how a particular mfr chooses to correct for it so the the jaws are perfectly centered on the chuck.

Back