• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck loosening during turning - Help requested

I have the nova chucks and have always had problems with tenons and bowls flying off the lathe. I went to using a mortise and problem solved. I always would dovetail my tenon not knowing they recommend it to be straight. I will have to try one with a straight tenon and see if it works better.
That should solve your problem.

I do almost all bowls with fresh green wood and hold them in my One Way chucks with the profile jaws on a straight tenon or true dovetail jaws on a recess and for me it is part of the process to snug up the chuck after 5 to 10 minutes time. The distortion that occurs when the wood dries is easily trued up using the profile jaws due to the wide range of diameter accommodated, however the bird beak dove tail jaws would seam to be a problem. The recess which needs to be a true circle to match the jaw will shrink and usually can be trued up to the original true circle. Note; the profile jaws have the bird beak pattern on the outside dovetail and that was not good for anything so I mounted my chuck on my metal lathe and made it a true dovetail.

I'm late to the party with this thread but glad I caught it. I have a set of three Nova Infinity chucks with a complete complement of jaws, #2-7. They are all dovetail inside and out. I thought all Nova's were true dovetails. I'm in the middle of teaching a class and while making some props noticed that the G3 chucks the club owns are straight! with a "beak: You learn something new every day. Thanks to all for making me aware of something before I misled my students.

Back