• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cindy Drozda

Our turning club had her do a demo of a small inlaid finial box this evening. What a great teacher she is, and such technical skills. She has an excellent camera and computer setup so you can really see clearly just what she is doing, and takes the time to answer questions in detail as she goes along.

Someone commented on the fact that she started sanding at no less than 400 grit, to which she replied that it was just tool skills, and that if you take the time to get a good shape and finish off the tool there isn't the need for a lot of sanding. True that, unfortunately the time I would need is measured in years.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Our turning club had her do a demo of a small inlaid finial box this evening. What a great teacher she is, and such technical skills. She has an excellent camera and computer setup so you can really see clearly just what she is doing, and takes the time to answer questions in detail as she goes along.

Someone commented on the fact that she started sanding at no less than 400 grit, to which she replied that it was just tool skills, and that if you take the time to get a good shape and finish off the tool there isn't the need for a lot of sanding. True that, unfortunately the time I would need is measured in years.
Cindy is a terrific teacher. I was lucky to get her to do week long classes for two of our clubs.
Takes the club instant gallery to the next level immediately with the skills she gives the students.

Every finial you turn is likely to be better than the previous. Few people turn finials as well as Cindy does.
Cindy took years to get where she is. I met her around 2002 after she had achieved recognition for her superior work.

I usually start sanding my finials with 320. Some finial tips I use 400 because they are too delicate for 320. A few finial coves will need 220 if i miss meeting at the bottom.

Last edited:
Years ago I had Cindy here in my shop for my club for the better part of a week. I have partaken of many of her online demos and there is no one who does it better. She is great at making sure you see every nuance of her cuts. As stated no one does it better!

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
Kevin, I have to respectfully disagree with the idea you need years. The bevel supported cuts with sharp tools that cindy uses is really easy to learn and master. Get some help!! I assure you there a number of turners in your turning club that have the skills to show you how easy it is. Can you learn it from my YouTube channel videos?? Yes, but it would take years to see all of them and put the pieces of the puzzle together. Hands-on help can make the journey fast and easy. Once you get the foundation, then the time starts clicking. How much time can you spend at the lathe?? IT takes some practice early on in the learning curve but the confidence and fun will keep you at it.

As for the tool skills, what is learned on one tool, will transfer or relate to the same skill on other tools. How fast you can tune yourself into that is another matter. Some learn quickly, some take longer. That being said, my skew skills are getting better, but are no where near my gouge skills......

robo hippy

Kevin, I have to respectfully disagree with the idea you need years. The bevel supported cuts with sharp tools that cindy uses is really easy to learn and master. Get some help!! I assure you there a number of turners in your turning club that have the skills to show you how easy it is. Can you learn it from my YouTube channel videos?? Yes, but it would take years to see all of them and put the pieces of the puzzle together. Hands-on help can make the journey fast and easy. Once you get the foundation, then the time starts clicking. How much time can you spend at the lathe?? IT takes some practice early on in the learning curve but the confidence and fun will keep you at it.
I think you are right in that the project in question is a small spindle oriented project. The small spindle work I have done was fairly clean and didn't need that much sanding, in fact the shapes would have suffered from coarse sandpaper, which was Cyndi's point. My main difficulty is generating the sweet fair curve seen in my mind's eye and I do feel it is a matter of extended practice to be able to do that at will.

Nearly all the work I have done is faceplate /side grain vessels and I usually start at about 120-150# with that type of project. If I could turn a 9" diameter hollow form and start sanding it at 400# I would probably think I had died and gone to Heaven. In fact, Cindy said that she was going to be doing an 8" diameter demo next week, very likely an edge grain piece, and she expected to start sanding at 180#.

I thought it was interesting that Cyndi didn't pick up a skew chisel at any point, although she did demonstrate using the wing of her spindle gouge as one would use a skew.

I responded to a challenge to turn her "fabulous finial box" and can honestly say that that was a very difficult task but rewarding experience.

I agree with Lyle. Hands on with an experienced turner is priceless. Just two years ago I was sanding bowls with 60 grit. A year ago I could start with 100 grit sometimes 120. Been getting help from a friend at the club and now I start with 180 grit sometimes 220.

Back