• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Classic vessels and bowl shapes

Hi,
In another post some one mentioned creating a "Canopic jar". In other posts people have mentioned other form names that I had to Google.
I suspect there is no "list" of these forms, but maybe bif people could list the ones the know and/or like to turn that would bebe great.
I think that maybe if I had some initial design or concept rather than reinventing the wheel or bowl as it were I would have more luck :)

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
A Canopic Jar usually refers to an Egyptian burial urn. These generally look like tall wide mouthed vases and classically have carved figure of a head for the lid. Do a search for "canopic jar" and your will find a multitude of examples.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Raffan's books on turned bowl design and the art of the turned bowl are great design sources.

I've seen a huge book that I can't put my hands on right now with silhouettes of bowl and vase shapes through history and across cultures-- thousands of them. A reference intended for potters I believe, but equally applicable to wood. (An added benefit, if you think you've invented a new shape for a bowl or vase, this book would show you that you hadn't!)

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Hi,
In another post some one mentioned creating a "Canopic jar". In other posts people have mentioned other form names that I had to Google.
I suspect there is no "list" of these forms, but maybe bif people could list the ones the know and/or like to turn that would bebe great.
I think that maybe if I had some initial design or concept rather than reinventing the wheel or bowl as it were I would have more luck :)

My favorite for a new (or old) woodturner is "Woodturning A Source Book of Shapes" by John Hunnex. It has more than a hundred beautifully photographed examples, covering just about all kinds of classical and modern containers, including bowls and platters. It is available from Amazon.com, among other sources.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Raffan's books on turned bowl design and the art of the turned bowl are great design sources.

I've seen a huge book that I can't put my hands on right now with silhouettes of bowl and vase shapes through history and across cultures-- thousands of them. A reference intended for potters I believe, but equally applicable to wood. (An added benefit, if you think you've invented a new shape for a bowl or vase, this book would show you that you hadn't!)
Here's an image of the cover of Raffan's book. I was able to find this used on Ebay.

Attachments

• bowl design 96.jpg
    bowl design 96.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 17
I have Googled both Southwest Native American Pottery and Greek Vessels to find shapes that I like to use. Also go thru the gallery on this site and you can see lots of different examples of vessels/hollow forms.

Dennis, after your recommendation I sought out Hunnex's book. It took bit of time to find it (and to ship it to Canada) but what a wonderful collection of photos! Best I've seen.

This is great. And I love those canopic jars! Now if I recall correctly, the idea was to store your internal organs in these jars ... I guess ... to put them back in your body in the after life. I hope those are water tight!
I have the Raffan book and it is great. I guess I was just hoping for new inspiration. I have ordered a copy of the Hunnex book given the rave reviews. So hopefully the inspiration will flow.
Thanks

There was a book out several years back called 500 Wooden Bowls, I believe, that continues to be a good source of inspiration when needed. It's out of print, and for a while was ridiculously overpriced on the used market, but I've seen copies lately selling for very reasonable prices on line. Its getting a little dated these days, but still a good source for many differing styles of turned bowls from some major makers. A great companion to the Raffan books.

My favorite for a new (or old) woodturner is "Woodturning A Source Book of Shapes" by John Hunnex. It has more than a hundred beautifully photographed examples, covering just about all kinds of classical and modern containers, including bowls and platters. It is available from Amazon.com, among other sources.
Thanks Dennis for the tip on Hunnex's book. picked one up used on Amazon and I like it!

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Hey @Roger Wiegand , just wondering if you've been able to retrieve the title of this book... ?

may not be what you asked about, still is an option

A source book of shapes and Woodturning, Forms and Materials, both by John Hunnex
Classic Forms by Stuart E Dyas

Based on the recommendations above, I tracked down and purchased "Woodturning--a source book of shapes" by John Hunnex and "Shapes for Woodturners" by David Weldon. I already own Richard Raffan's "Turned Bowl Design" and "Woodturning Projects: a workshop guide to shapes" by Mark Baker. Here's my comparative book report. (for you Bottom Liners in a hurry, scroll to the last paragraph)

The Hunnex book is actually a photographic journey through the author's gallery of work. There are nice pictures and generally a variety of styles. There is no explanation of why the shape works or is desirable, and no silhouette or diagram of the shape. As a result, the shapes have to speak for themselves, and other decorative aspects of the pieces can interfere with the reader's ability to grasp the point. Also, the angle at which the photos are taken does not really maximize the appreciation of shape. Frankly, I found some of the shapes unappealing, but I'm no art critique either.

The Weldon book is at the opposite end of the spectrum, in many respects. Instead of pretty pictures, it has innumerable line drawings of shapes that the reader might try, displayed on a grid so copying should be easy. There are also instructions for altering the proportions of the drawings. It's unclear where the drawings came from, why they were selected, and which might be more aesthetically pleasing than any other. Basically, it's a very large volume of raw material, with the reader having both the freedom and the responsibility to choose which to use. Weldon includes shapes for turned objects other than bowls, as well.

Richard Raffan's book is much more instructional than the two above. It includes numerous black and white photos that illustrate what Raffan considers good, pleasing design and also what produces an unappealing appearance. There are a good number of line drawings, similar to Weldon's book, which are both intended to illustrate points he's making and also to provide a very simple template.

Mark Baker's book is also an instructional one, with more of a 'how to' emphasis on making compared to Raffan's emphasis on design. The book begins with information on safety, materials and tools. Then there are sections for boxes, bowls, platters, hollow forms and natural edge work. Each section starts with a series of step-by-step pictures on how to make a representative piece, and then follows with a dozen or so other pieces with photo and detailed diagram on the cross section, and a couple of alterations or alternate options that might be made.

After going through all 4 of these, my opinion is that the Hunnex book is the least helpful to me. It's a bunch of examples of the work of one person, without a guiding hand to help me understand shapes. I have seen several books that contain the work of a half dozen people, like "500 bowls" or whatever it's called, that would be better, simply because the pieces in the other books were objectively juried as desirable work. The other 3 books reviewed here all have their place for those of us learning to make appealing shapes, with slightly different emphasis and expressions. Baker's takes the reader through the process of making, Raffan shares his personal (and expert) opinions on what makes a well shaped bowl with examples, and Weldon provides a bazillion examples and leaves you to choose what you like. As with all things in turning, each of us will have our own preferences.

Check out Richard Raffan's "The Art of the Bowl".
A book that all of us should own and look at on occasion.
Ceramic pottery books are a great source of shapes also.

Back