• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Club Owned Equipment usage question?

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Our club (GCWA) is seeking outside input regarding issues with the use of club owned equipment.

Background. Our local AAW chapter is in the fortunate position of owning a Oneway lathe. When not used as needed for monthly demos or club sponsored outreach events it is kept warehoused and maintained by one of our members.

A request was made via our club online forum to somehow make this piece of equipment available to members by some means when not otherwise in use.

The board discussed this matter at length at our last meeting and agree to table any decisions until we had time to research the issue.

Ok - the question: For those AAW chapters with club owned equipment - what is your policy regarding use by club members.

All comments, input welcome. I will be providing a synopsis to the board of how other clubs have handled this issue.

If you would rather not publicly state any feedback regarding this issue, please don't hesitate to PM me or email me at john@texasturner.com

Thank you for any help regarding this matter.

-- John

Last edited:
The Presque Isle Woodturners have a Oneway (12") plus 5 mini lathes that are club owned. The Oneway has a huge steel case that goes over it and this makes for a not too mobile lathe (the case locks and chucks etc. are kept inside). The five mini's are available for members to check out on a monthly basis along with tools, chucks, etc. We also use these mini's when we are doing on sight demo's. Hope this info helps.

Western New York Woodturners-II has four mini lathes. Each is equipped with Talon or Vicmark chucks plus live centers, Stebb centers, etc. Three of these lathes can be checked out by members for a month to month period. A check list is included with each lathe, listing equipment. The borrower must sign for the lathe and accessories. Upon return a board member or designate must sign that all accessories are accounted for and everything is in working order. We have had far more damage to equipment at supervised hands on than from individual borrowing.

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Thanxs!

Thanxs for the info. Keep it coming. :cool2:

How do your clubs handle liability?

Do members sign a waiver of some sort when they check out the equipment?

How is damage to the units whilst being borrowed addressed?

-- John

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
About once a year I run workshops with a well known turner in my shop for 8 students.
I borrow 2 lathes owned by the Central Florida club and one owned by the Polk County club.
My insurance would cover any significant loss but it is a $500 deductible.
The relationship to the clubs is that most of the participants member of one or both clubs and we coordinate a demo with the central Florida club.

Both of these clubs have had lathes kept at someones home with the understanding that the individual could use it.

None of these agreements have ever been more complicated than a handshake or a head nod.

-Al

jovan said:
Thanxs for the info. Keep it coming. :cool2:......................-- John

>How do your clubs handle liability?<

As I understand it a waiver is next to useless, you can't sign away you rights. Although it has occurred once without incident, we won't let a total newbie take a lathe until someone has seen them turn.

>How is damage to the units whilst being borrowed addressed?<

So far only a couple of items, lost or damaged, actually needed replacing(read, buy new). Someone usually has an extra whatever, drive center ,etc. that they donate or a damaged piece gets fixed by a member. The Club will also pick up the cost of an occasional item that has been deemed worn-out.

The Bayou Woodturners used to loan out their mini to just about anyone. I spent many an evening changing belts which were stretched out, replacing capacitors, hunting down missing components and asking people to bring back our stuff. And most of this was caused by very good, studio artist, turners.
Needless to say, I stopped the lending practice a few years ago and even sold the lathe at auction this year. I loan out one of my mini lathes when we need it. They seem to respect my stuff more than the clubs. If you loan it, be aware that some people don't respect items, but they do respect people.

NorCal Woodturners has two mini lathes and the both live with one of our members at his house, stored in our trailer. He hosts a free turning class for our members once a month and the lathes come out for the class and then go back into the trailer. We do take them to demos at schools, etc. but as far as I know, no one has asked to borrow them. If the question came up, I'd vote against it and I'd use Captain Eddie's experience to bolster my argument.

Back