• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cody Litster

I’m from Southeast Alaska. My boys worked on a lathe in their high school shop class. They talked me into buying an old craftsman lathe. Not even sure if the model. Now we have two tabletop lathes and am having a blast turning. We are experimenting with local woods and making tops, balls, gaff hook handles, and of course, bowls. We are mostly self taught. There are only a few turners in our small town. I am sure I will be asking lots of questions. Thank you for your patience and advice in advance.

IMG_1630.jpegIMG_1520.jpegIMG_0347.jpeg

Welcome Cody. Great wood to work with in Southeast AK. I really enjoyed being part of the Ketchikan Woodturning club when I lived there 13 years ago. I turned quite a few gaff handles at the time. It's a great opportunity to get good at spindle work and when you find a shape you love, it's a good chance to practice duplicating. I still miss the smell of turned yellow cedar and alder. I used to come up to Petersburg about every 6 weeks to run a surgical clinic there. I'll never forget the little Norway festival, with all the kids dressed up in their Scandinavian finest, and the Vikings and Valkyries walking the streets. I look forward to seeing your created pieces on the forum.

Guy

You might want to look up Zach LaPierre, who is a member here from Sitka and a very experienced turner. A play date might be extremely helpful in advancing your turning. There are a bazillion things that you don't know to notice in online videos and remote demos. Some of the online ones show a scandalous disregard for safety and horrible techniques.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Welcome to the forum Cody! I didn’t realize you were from Alaska (reference to your other post about a “last lathe”). You’re in a good place here—a bunch of very knowledgeable, very friendly folks.

Back