• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

completly different from completly different

Website
www.georgetroygraphics.com
You have found your nitch. Since I retired 7 years ago it has been 4 hours turning time, 4 hours golf time in warm weather and the rest wife time. I'm trying to figure out how to my retirement money equal out in time before the medicos get it. Thanks for showing your monster. GT

Balancing process?

This is definitely cool!

I am curious if there is a specific process you used for balancing the piece? Or is it just trial and error?

Did you make any effort to balance it at multiple points? both ends? in the middle at one or more points?

Jeff

Website
www.turningaround.org
balancing columns

Initialy I balance the column by placing weights inside the column. I screw pieces of steel at tail stock end. Then I ues a independent 4 jaw chuck to fine balance. Usually do this several times during the job.

impressive

wow!!!

i had seen a smaller column done with glued sections but not a hollow one

impressive

i guess at some time you probably did segmented bowls and such or you just do the big stuff?? :cool2:

Back