• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Containing shavings in one place

I want to contain the shavings from flying all over my shop. Dust collection methods don’t work for shavings flying off. I’m really just trying to keep it all in one spot or area on the floor to sweep up. I thought of a curtain or room divider. What do you y’all do to contain the shavings?

Attachments

• room divider am.png
    room divider am.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 25
Welcome to the forum. This topic has been discussed often in the past. I suggest you click the search button in the upper right of the screen and search on Curtain. You'll get lots of posts with lots of information.

It's definitely worth using curtains, especially if you plan to turns lots of green wood. The curtains make it easier to clean up and they protect the other equipment in your shop. Wet shavings that land on cast iron surfaces will cause rust in a hurry, especially from species like oak, walnut, cherry.

I use floor to ceiling curtains, on 3 sides. I want some airflow into the lathe area, so I use white (reflects a lot of light) sheer see through curtains, 108” long in my case. As I have a pivot HS, I need coverage off the HS end. I used cable type curtain rods to suspend them.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
I want to contain the shavings from flying all over my shop. Dust collection methods don’t work for shavings flying off. I’m really just trying to keep it all in one spot or area on the floor to sweep up. I thought of a curtain or room divider. What do you y’all do to contain the shavings?
Hi Rick,
Made this video showing my workspace setup in the shop. Towards the end I show how I attempt to contain some of the shaving....I happen to like the ones in the rafters :)
Thought you might pick up some other ideas about arranging your shop as well...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtNl1WvnG38&t=334s

Have Fun!
Lyle

Cutting a straight 3/8" slot in 16' of PVC is not fun. Stay well away from the table saw! I wound up using a carbide-grit rotary cutter in an air die grinder to widen a curf made with a 4" trim saw
Duly noted. I despised cutting up the PVC when I made my tool rack. There seems to be some kind of internal stress or something that is released when cutting it. It always seems to grab the blade.

Hi Rick,
Made this video showing my workspace setup in the shop. Towards the end I show how I attempt to contain some of the shaving....I happen to like the ones in the rafters :)
Thought you might pick up some other ideas about arranging your shop as well...

Have Fun!
Lyle
That was fun. Thanks.

Wish I could find an old fashioned all steel scoop shovel rather than the cheap pot metal ones that start to wear away after a few uses...... They don't make things like they used to...

robo hippy

Welcome to the forum. This topic has been discussed often in the past. I suggest you click the search button in the upper right of the screen and search on Curtain. You'll get lots of posts with lots of information.

It's definitely worth using curtains, especially if you plan to turns lots of green wood. The curtains make it easier to clean up and they protect the other equipment in your shop. Wet shavings that land on cast iron surfaces will cause rust in a hurry, especially from species like oak, walnut, cherry.
Thank you. I’m looking forward to being a part of it. I’m a beginner. And I was making my search wayyyy to complicated. Curtain is simply perfect.
Rick

I use a cloth shower curtain behind me suspended on a thin nylon line strung from the ceiling. It is simple and easy. Push it out of the way when not needed and no bulky apparatus to deal with.

I set up my curtains with the cheapest plastic shower curtains from Walmart and Target. They worked well, so I started looking for something more durable and discovered the heavier, fabric shower curtains and figured I'd change when the plastic ones inevitably tore. It's been about 8 years and the plastic ones are still working fine. Yikes!

I use a shower curtain held by these strong magnetic hooks. Because I work in a garage, I have metal rails for the door, a metal storage rack, my bandsaw, etc. and the hooks allow me to quickly put it up, take it down, reposition it, and so forth. They’re great for other things as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Maximum-Neodymium-Corrosion-Protection/dp/B0787Q54M1/ref=zg_bs_16412731_sccl_1/142-2556230-8904751?psc=1.

Attachments

• 087FF788-9491-4D2E-AA49-BE412507E51E.jpeg
    087FF788-9491-4D2E-AA49-BE412507E51E.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 6
I use a flexible track from amyzon and 2 heavy/clear shower curtains. Easy to move out of the way and store. Hung from ceiling, keeps most chips from flying all over. Hangs appx 18" from floor so some do get a little farther but not much. Got the idea from posts on here a while back.

LiBa PEVA 8G Bathroom Shower Curtain Liner, 72" W x 84" H Clear 8G Heavy Duty Waterproof Shower Curtain Liner​

UrbanRed Flexible Ceiling Curtain Track, 7 Meters (22.9FT) - Room Divider, Curtain Rod, Ceiling Track, Wall Divider Curtain, Ceiling Mount, RV Rail, Shower Corner, Long Curved Hospital Privacy System​

Rick. Ive seen a couple turners that use see thru shower curtains hanging from pvc as back drops or even could be entire surrounds if needed.
Me? I just let-um fly!
Yep, I'm one of them. Clear shower curtains are excellent for this. I screwed a bunch of those big coated hooks that often get used for hanging bicycles into the ceiling, and then just hang the curtain rods on the hooks. I have actual shower curtain rods since I found them for cheap at Ross, but you could just as easily use lengths of conduit or heavy dowel. I can take them down easily, or use a small spring clamp to clip the curtains out of the way when I need to sweep or move things around. If you need to make sure the curtains stay closed, you can make a simple snap by taping a big washer to one curtain and a rare-earth magnet to another. Couldn't be easier, and it really keeps the mess contained. I go to discount stores for new curtains every once in a whole when the old ones get too gross.

Wish I could find an old fashioned all steel scoop shovel rather than the cheap pot metal ones that start to wear away after a few uses...... They don't make things like they used to...

robo hippy
When I was hunting for a good shop-cleaning shovel I quickly realized that in our neck of the woods snow shovels are hard to come by. What I did find, though, and like very much, is a grain scoop. It's a lightweight but surprisingly sturdy plastic-bladed shovel (wooden handle) and the best part is that it's bright red so I have a harder time losing it. It's just the right width for dumping into the collapsible lawn/leaf container that I use when I'm bagging shavings.

Website
www.lakeeriewoodturner.com

robo hippy
I believe if you go to the local old time hardware store they could order one for you. I got a snow shovel that way several years ago and it's still going strong unlike me!

I read about this roller shade on another thread here and thought the price was right. The roller shade also allows some air circulation which is really nice when roughing very wet bowl blanks in a hot garage. I was afraid the shower curtains would be more sauna like than I would prefer. I just mainly use it when roughing and sending long curls flying bit it could work anytime and truly is out of the way when rolled up.

I read about this roller shade on another thread here and thought the price was right. The roller shade also allows some air circulation which is really nice when roughing very wet bowl blanks in a hot garage. I was afraid the shower curtains would be more sauna like than I would prefer. I just mainly use it when roughing and sending long curls flying bit it could work anytime and truly is out of the way when rolled up.
Fortunately my shop has AC. :)

Duly noted. I despised cutting up the PVC when I made my tool rack. There seems to be some kind of internal stress or something that is released when cutting it. It always seems to grab the blade.
Hi David... greetings from a fellow Victorian
Trick with cutting plastics is to use a blade with a negative hook angle. (Teeth lean back 5% or so, rather than forward into the cut.)
Blades labeled for aluminum, non-ferrous, or plastic will all work
Gary

Back