• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Coring on the G0800 with the Max 3

attachment.php

I just wanted to take a minute to give some kudos to WoodCut tools, out of New Zealand for their coring rig, the Bowlsaver Max 3. I've had this coring setup nearly two years, and have used it on about a dozen or so pieces that I thought were worth the effort to core. This past week, I got a load of cherry, honey locust, and what you see in this picture, which I do not exactly know what wood it is.

It was delivered to me by a friend, and he told me the trimmers who were taking down this and a few other trees said it was walnut.....nope! The workers were from El Salvidor, and worked for Asplundt, and in my opinion do not know American woods. One said this was Ash.....nope! It almost seems like some variety of elm to me, or something that has some porous growth rings......your input on the wood would be appreciated to identify it!

Related to the Bowlsaver Max 3...this thing really does a fine job of coring. It was actually a pleasure, and went easy with a little clearing of the chips. The system is stable, and even though the post is 6" long, it fits in both my G0766 22" swing lathe and my 24" swing G0800. This is the first time I've used it on my G0800, and man what a stable platform, and with the morse taper in the tailstock quill and the post in the banjo hole, it really works well. The large bowl is 16-1/2" diameter, the medium is a smidgen over 13" diameter and the little one is 10" diameter.

I don't know if Terry Scott had any hand in testing, perfecting, or design of this unit, but this turner is really happy with the WoodCut Bowl Saver Max 3!

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=410615&d=1559248097

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger,

I've been very happy with my Max 3 as well. I have found that with a 5 degree negative rake on the cutting blade it is less grabby, much more smooth without losing any cutting power. Its an excellent system though I probably haven't used mine near as much as you have. A side note, I didn't see any pictures but maybe its my browser.

I get the picture on my Windows PC, and on my ipad. I tried it on my iphone, and not being logged in, the pic did not show. Not sure if one has to be logged in to the forum with password or not, but my ipad does not automatically log me in as far as I know, yet the pic shows up on it as well as my desk top PC.

Maybe Bill will chime in with the answer for the forum.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
How many pictures are supposed to be there? I see one that is a very large file and might be the reason that others aren't seeing anything. I know that you are proud of your lathe, but since the subject is the coring rig you might consider cropping the image to the coring rig and some of the cores. Additionally, a bit of JPG compression or saving for the web can considerably reduce file size without noticeable loss of image quality.

I should also mention for the benefit of everyone who reads this thread that the forum rules say that starting a thread to talk about a particular product is not allowed. However, I will look the other way and pretend that I didn't notice anything since you're a good guy. The reason for the rule was that years ago there was a significant problem with thinly veiled advertising as well as online bickering between some some individuals involved in competing products. Things like that weren't conductive to a friendly environment so some restrictive rules were were instituted. The trouble with rules is that they also hurt everybody and not just those who misbehave. Enforcing rules that sometimes don't seem to make sense don't bring me any pleasure, but I hope that I have conveyed my reason for not even giving the impression that I am showing favoritism to any one person.

Of course, if questions are asked about subjects such as coring it is fine and proper to discuss your experience with whatever coring rigs you have used.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Getting back on track, I've never used or seen the Bowlsaver Max 3 in actual use, but I have seen a couple YouTube videos and it seems to be a nice rig. Does it allow you to deviate off the centerline? I've watched a couple of my club members use the Oneway system and they say that you can deviate a bit off centerline, but the curvature of the support arm allows only small deviations. I have the McNaughton and so far it's kicking my tail, but I'm persistent for whatever that's worth.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I think that I might have found the problem. You are linking to an encrypted file on sawmill creek. This might possibly cause problems depending on a browser's security settings. I think that it would make more sense if you were to upload the image file directly from your computer to your post. If you're not familiar with how to do that on XenForo forum software, I have a tutorial HERE.

Bill, thank you for the tech support. Let me assure you, I was not in any way trying to do anything but share a good experience with the Bowlsaver Max3. My thought was that others might be thinking about a coring system, and perhaps information from an actual user might be helpful to them.

Related to the image........I was not given an option to pull an image from my computer, though it is there in my files, as the program only gave me the option to give a link location when I clicked on the image icon. That is the reason I pulled it from sawmill creek. The image size is 775kb, and I did reduce and crop the image with Faststone Image Viewer, but can reduce it again, and post a pic in the thread if you think that is a good idea. What is the maximum size that can be posted on this forum.....I think in the past I've seen larger than this one, but don't know that for sure.

I certainly don't want to cause any problems, especially be seen as marketing for any product, but thought that this turning forum was for discussion of turning related things/products/etc. Again, thanks!

Maybe we have it solved now...View attachment 29404

Look like its solved, can see the picture now.

I had the Oneway coring system for a year, it too does a great job at coring and is quite easy to use. I used the Max3 at a friends shop and was impressed how much quicker it was to set up and it took less space to store, so I had to buy one. I've been very happy with it.

Glad the pic shows now.......thanks Damon! Setup time is really one of the nice things about this coring rig. And the ease of use. I hardly had any chatter coring the bowls you see above. I had some wood chips get between the cutter and the wood a time or two, but that was easily solved by a blast from the air hose and pulling the knife to the outside of the kerf.
What lathe are you using your unit on?

I'm using mine on a Robust AB. When the club has open turning once a month there are three Powermatic 3520s, five midi Jets and a Nova. I've used the Max3 on the Powermatic several times and its a joy to use on them as well.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill, thank you for the tech support. Let me assure you, I was not in any way trying to do anything but share a good experience with the Bowlsaver Max3. My thought was that others might be thinking about a coring system, and perhaps information from an actual user might be helpful to them.......

.... I certainly don't want to cause any problems, especially be seen as marketing for any product, but thought that this turning forum was for discussion of turning related things/products/etc. Again, thanks!

The rule has been in place for nearly a decade. Because the AAW is a 501(c)(3) organization the forum can't be allowed to even give the slightest hint of pecuniary interest. As stated in the rules, discussing products is encouraged in response to a question. For example a frequently asked question is opinions about various lathes when someone is considering upgrading or getting a first lathe. Flute profiles and steel alloys are also fodder for many discussions.

.... Related to the image........I was not given an option to pull an image from my computer, though it is there in my files, as the program only gave me the option to give a link location when I clicked on the image icon. That is the reason I pulled it from sawmill creek. The image size is 775kb, and I did reduce and crop the image with Faststone Image Viewer, but can reduce it again, and post a pic in the thread if you think that is a good idea. What is the maximum size that can be posted on this forum.....I think in the past I've seen larger than this one, but don't know that for sure.

Roger, regarding being able to to upload images directly from your computer (AKA "attaching" a file) did you see the tutorial that I linked? Nearly all of the images that are posted in the discussion threads are "attached" and not linked to a web page (AKA "embedded" image files).

Just guessing, but the file format of the image, JFIF, might have been a problem for some browsers. Normally, we expect web images to have one of the following file types: JPG, JPEG, GIF, PDF, PNG, or BMP. When posting photos on the web it's always preferable to use JPG.

Regarding your file size error, image size in bytes is always somewhat smaller than the actual storage space required to save it on disk. The maximum file size for attached images is 1 MB. Since your original image was an embedded link the file size would not have been an issue for the forum software.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I couldn't view it either, and that was before and after logging in. On a PC, Windows 10, Chrome browser.

Same here Steven. Same system specs too: Win10 with Chrome's latest build.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Same here Steven. Same system specs too: Win10 with Chrome's latest build.

@Roger Chandler I am able to see the image on Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari, but not on Chrome. I edited Roger's original post to put a link to the file on Sawmill Creek at the bottom of the post. If you click on the link it should open a new tab or window to show the image. (never mind, I figured out the problem)

Basically, the problem is that BB code image tags were placed around a non-image wrapper on the image on Roger's post over on Sawmill Creek. I think that the reason I am able to see the image is because I am a dues paying member of Sawmill Creek. They recently instituted a new policy that only contributing members can view images. I'll bet if I saved my username and password for the creek on Chrome that I would suddenly be able to see the image there as well. The moral of the story: to insure that everybody is able to see your images, upload them directly from your computer to your post rather than linking to a picture that you have somewhere else on the web. It's a fairly common policy that you have to be a member of a forum or photo sharing site to be able to view images.

On the second post of a pic [#13 in this thread] I did manage to get the picture directly from my own computer files, after resizing twice. Hope this helps. Everyone should be able to see the one on post #13 on this thread, I think.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Yes, it's there. Thanks Roger.

Got some help on the wood identification from fellow turner Pat Scott from Colorado. He says it's eastern cottonwood. I looked that up, and it really seems the grain is identical to the cored bowls and same coloration also. Thanks Pat!

Attachments

• eastern-cottonwood-endgrain.jpg
    eastern-cottonwood-endgrain.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 19
Umm, with SMC, to view any pictures, you have to have a paid membership, some thing like $6 per year, which is probably why the first link wouldn't work for many here.

I would like to own the Woodcut system. I have an old 2 blade one, but would want the newer 3 blade system. I don't remember a negative set to the cutter. That may be a difference with the newer set up. The older ones also had a slightly concave cutter, and I think that helped the chips eject better.

robo hippy

The instructions with my Woodcut 2 blade system said to use neg 5 deg on the cutter for hardwood, 0 deg for softwood. It does help chatter as the cutter edge gets more parallel to the lathe bed. They may have added this instruction after you got yours. Download the instructions, cutter maintenance is in the middle. Couple of pages in.

attachment.php

I just wanted to take a minute to give some kudos to WoodCut tools, out of New Zealand for their coring rig, the Bowlsaver Max 3. I've had this coring setup nearly two years, and have used it on about a dozen or so pieces that I thought were worth the effort to core. This past week, I got a load of cherry, honey locust, and what you see in this picture, which I do not exactly know what wood it is.

It was delivered to me by a friend, and he told me the trimmers who were taking down this and a few other trees said it was walnut.....nope! The workers were from El Salvidor, and worked for Asplundt, and in my opinion do not know American woods. One said this was Ash.....nope! It almost seems like some variety of elm to me, or something that has some porous growth rings......your input on the wood would be appreciated to identify it!

Related to the Bowlsaver Max 3...this thing really does a fine job of coring. It was actually a pleasure, and went easy with a little clearing of the chips. The system is stable, and even though the post is 6" long, it fits in both my G0766 22" swing lathe and my 24" swing G0800. This is the first time I've used it on my G0800, and man what a stable platform, and with the morse taper in the tailstock quill and the post in the banjo hole, it really works well. The large bowl is 16-1/2" diameter, the medium is a smidgen over 13" diameter and the little one is 10" diameter.

I don't know if Terry Scott had any hand in testing, perfecting, or design of this unit, but this turner is really happy with the WoodCut Bowl Saver Max 3!

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=410615&d=1559248097
Hi @Roger Chandler firstly apologies for the belated response to your email. Since 2005 Woodcut Tools has been owned by my family and designing and making products that are valued by our customers is our mission. Great to hear you are enjoying the Woodcut Max 3, make sure you sharpen the front of the cutter with a diamond hone when the shavings reduce to dust. Please let us know if we can support you further support@woodcut-tools.com

Best regards

Dan Hewitt

Last edited by a moderator:
Back