• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

craft show

does anyone have good method of taking credit cards at craft shows for turnings???

it has to be mobile, get credit card validated, it charged to customer and payment to vendoree, etc

what do yall use??????? :confused: :confused:

where do ya get it??????? :eek: :eek:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I have been taking credit cards since 1995. You should have heard the bankers laugh me out the door (figuratively speaking) when I told them I wanted to take phone orders through selling stuff over this new thing called the internet. But I eventually found a bank, and it was the one with which I was already doing business! My bank also offered me the best rate, price on my machine, etc, so look around and don't grab the first deal that comes your way. I paid $350 for the same machine that my friend bought for $1500! :eek:

I will process cards at shows to several different degrees, depending on how fast things are moving, how much something costs, etc. I have an imprinter and I use it to get a physical copy of the card and the signature of the buyer. If I have the time or if it is a very large sale, I will call it in and get an approval number via the cell phone. For lower ticket items I take the chance and run them through the machine when I get home. I think there is a way to program my machine to dial a toll free number at shows, but then I need to pay for a phone line, and it usually is not worth it. I have yet to see a cell phone that will accept a hookup from a CC machine, but I think that there may be one in existence.

I have only had one card fail to go through, and that was way back in 1996. I sold a guy a pen set for $95.00. He took it with him, and when I went to call in the order that night, his card bounced. I called him immediately and politely explained that his card was rejected, and asked what he wanted to do about it. He got all scared, and told me he would drive over to my house the next morning (over 40 miles). He did, he paid, and everything was fine. I think he was afraid that I would come to his house instead. As an aside I have had people joke about bad checks, etc from time to time, and I simply tell them that I am my own collection agency. That stops all talk of not paying up. :cool2:

I have had a few bad cards over the internet, but nothing had gone out before they were processed, so I did not lose anything. I had one guy try to explain to me that the reason his card was rejected was because of the firewall on his computer. Apparently his security device was preventing me from getting money out of his account. Right. ;)

Good luck with it, and if I can answer any more questions, I will be glad to try.

Bill

Website
www.craftsbyken.aftosawebhosting.com
Sage
verison has a machine for $250 which hooks into your cell phone and will let you process a credit card. BUT you have to have cell service in the area where you have the show. the rest is involved with your bank and setting up a credit card account.
thats what I know have not done it yet but plan to in the future
ken
slippery rock, pa

I take my laptop with me and use paypal. There was no intial investment, which inevitably means higher fees, but not having to lug around extra equipment or worrying about it it breaking and not having a spare. My back up with the laptop is first my PDA then my cell. Granted you will need some kind of online access but that is almost always available these days either from a phone line or with increasing frequency wifi access. The other nice thing I have found about paypal is the amount of people with money to spend that already have accounts.

We're pretty much with Bill on this one. At most shows we use imprinter then ask for phone number and if it's big we ask for address from drivers license but not often. If it is big $$ or I'm worried for some reason then we call it in but I think our processing company charges $1.25 per call. If it's small we just take the chance on them. Then we run them all in on the machine when we get home.

We've had a few bounce but a quick phone call usually takes care of it. People with bad cards don't go to craft shows, they are out for big ticket items from retail items it seems.

Our processing company does offer a cell phones based model but it still requires a signal and then additional fees for an extra cell phone. It can also be used as a regualr cell phone but is huge compared to regular cell phones. I sure wouldn't want to carry it around just to use as a phone.

Just read this post on cc.I am setting up a show in sept and also was wondering as to how to do this,but now see that you can use your laptop and collect thru PP.Can someone tell me as to what procedure you would use to do this.I hope I didn't make this to confusing.
Thanks
Ken

there is too much info for me to really retype so just look here on the paypal site and pm if you want me give you any personal accounts.

Back