• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Creating a satin finish epoxy

Hi, I understand, from a quick search, that they don't make, basically anything accept gloss epoxy. Same with CA but I didn't have to search for that. The reason I mention CA is that I use that to finish pens. When finishing pens I apply the CA, then turn the lathe up pretty high maybe ~2k then take some 0000 steel wool to it. That takes it right down to matte. Then I start in with some 1500 micromesh and move up about 10 grits which gets it pretty glossy.
I'm wondering if anyone has a process that they use for epoxy to get a satin finish. I presume I could do something similar to my pens, but a) I don't have big enough micro mesh b) I'm don't want to buy a ton of micro mesh c) I may not be able to remount it to the lathe and my hands don't go 2k rpm. d) I don't want to mess it up. Messing up a pen blank stinks, but messing up a whole vessel, well, I'm really hoping not to.
Anyway, if someones done it I'd love to hear your experience or system. Otherwise I guess I'll have to wing it with some wet sandpaper.
Thanks,
Raif

Well I went through with it. I don't know how happy I am. Iso detest the piece that I don't know if that clouds my judgement on the technical aspect of the satin finish. I guess the jury will have to remain out for now.

Attachments

• PXL_20210606_190455328.jpg
    PXL_20210606_190455328.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210606_193829700.jpg
    PXL_20210606_193829700.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 15
Back