• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Damaged Scroll on Chuck

The scroll on my Axminster SK80 has been damaged by my clumsiness. I have searched the web for Axminster replacement parts. Any idea where to find parts for this chuck?

You should be able to get them from Axminster. I don't know if they have dealers with spare parts in the US. I did break some teeth on the pinion gear, the one that is used to tighten things up, on one of my Vicmark chucks years ago, and Craft Supplies had spare parts. There is another gear, kind of a spiral out from the center gear, that the jaws seat into, and that may be more difficult to find.

robo hippy

Thank you. I think only the scroll plate (or whatever the technical name is) is all that is damaged. I will contact Axminster.

I dropped the chuck on my workbench after taking it off the lathe for cleaning. Apparently, it hit directly on one of the jaw slides and chipped a piece of metal out of the scroll. I can see the small piece jammed against the jaw slide. This prevents the chuck from opening or closing completely.
I contacted Axminster in the UK and they were very helpful. The part is on the way. Excellent customer service from Axminster.

Back