• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dan Coleman

Not really a new member. Just a new member to posting on the forum. I taught HS Industrial Arts for 10 years before going to a local utility to teach welding for 2.5 years. I was a CWI and Quality Supervisor for the same utility for another 21 years. My turning is mostly utilitarian; tool handles, pens, tool parts, furniture parts, ornaments. I enjoy making tools and parts. I do tool repair for our Guild and Woodturners Clubs.,

Dan,
Your background surely provides some knowledge and experience we can all benefit from. The industrial world provides an incentive to make solutions and repairs happen in a timely basis. The facility I work at had a $50,000 an hour down time expense twenty years ago, with the other ventures on site today it is closer to $500,000 an hour when critical facilities are not running. We have several machine shops and fabricators that make good money and provide fast turnarounds for components and repairs we need on a timely basis. Plenty of opportunities for skilled craftsman that have the skill sets to design, fabricate, machine and assemble tooling, jigs, machinery and controls.

Back