• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dan Stevenson

Hi. I'm from Tampa Fl, I've been turning just over a year now and can say I'm thoroughly addicted to it.

So far I've been pretty much self taught (by watching youtube and reading everything I could), joined a local club and have been exclusively using EZ Wood Carbide tools. I have also acquired Lyle Jamieson's hollowing rig. I'm getting pretty proficient with the carbides, but after watching Al Hockenberry do a demo of throwing massive wood across the room a short while back at a club meeting I've decided now to go back to kindergarden per se, and re-learn turning using traditional gouges. That way I can decide for myself the best tools for a larger variety of turning situations.

I primarily turn Norfolk Island Pine in all kinds of forms & techniques, as I'm attracted to it like I am to no other wood that is readily available.

I'm here to learn and to share. I look forward to meeting many of you.
DSWoodcraftFBHeader4.jpg DSWoodcraftFBheader3.jpg DSWoodcraftFBheader5.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum.
You are doing a great job of lining up those NIP branches.

We are both fortunate to be able to benefit and learn from the many excellent turners we have in the Tri-County club. Three of our members have demonstrated at the AAW recently - few clubs have that many.
However one that sets the gold standard is the Rocky Mountain turners who have 4-5 of the best turners in the world.

Long term removing wood with a scraper even a carbide is hard on the body parts because your body has to hold down one end of the lever. A gouge lets the lathe do most all of the work . In most cases the gouge is the tool I prefer both for removing wood and shaping curves.

That said. I have a hunter Carbide in my tool rack. There are times where it outperforms the gouge.

I heard you mention that evening you had carbide too and like Lyle's hollowing rig as well, got me thinking that more proficiency & choices would be my next move before I get married to one style over the other - like I hear many fellow members have done. Thanks again.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome Dan! Your work is very, very nice. And you are fortunate to be in the same club as Al.

And pardon me but I just gotta say it in case you're a football fan (all in good fun)...

Who Dat!!

Back