• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dan Witrock

Hi everyone,

I currently live in NYC, but grew up in northwestern CT and have a small woodshop there, including my Jet lathe. I've had it for about 4 or 5 years now, but really picked up the pace of turning during the pandemic. Mostly bowls, but also rattles for a few friends who have kids, and recently a cup for my new espresso grinder that fits well into pouring those coffee grinds into my portafilter. I love the little projects as much as the larger ones. Have done a couple pepper grinders as well, but have had trouble on both of them, getting the two pieces perfectly flush. Still works great! But definitely a sight for sore eyes of perfection. And few pictures of various projects attached.

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_4839.jpg

IMG_5064.jpg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum! I’m curious, what is that piece in the second photo? I see a bunch of nice buttons, but what are the oak knobs for?

Ah, just the first door knobs i tried to make, with the round wooden "plates" to surround them on the door. The wood was a super nice quarter sawn oak, though shape-wise wasn't the most interesting. The 4th knob i ended up doing came out nicer, with a more interesting shape that wasn't just "round."

These are a couple other things.

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Back