• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dave DeJong

I've lurked here for quite a while now and may have even posted without introducing my self and I really have to apologize for that. I did some turning about 15 years ago on a Jet 1014 mini lathe. Most of that was duck calls and small goblets. Anyhow to make a long story short I'm back at it again. I still have the Jet but this last summer I purchased a Nova Saturn that I really enjoy. I'm an old guy turning 70 on Monday. I just signed up for AAW and I am really looking forward to being a member of this organization. I live in SW Minnesota and this area seems to be almost void of wood turners. Any how this is my introduction and I think I'll follow it up with my first stupid question. Dave

Dave,

Looks like Harrisburg SD or Rochester MN would be the closest cities that have a woodturning club in your area. I would wager to bet there are other woodturners in your area, if you have someone in your area that sells wood turning blanks they will know who the woodturners are in the area. If you have a local portable sawmill operator they usually sell wood turning blanks to the woodturners. The portable sawmill operators usually have a listing on Craigslist.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome Dave,

There may be Non-AAW woodturner closeby. Mike had some methods of finding them.

There are a few AAW members in the area - see the map

You can search the member directory with the firs 3 or 4 digits of a zip code and get a list of the members with those digits at the beginning of their zip codes. If you know the zips of surrounding towns you can get quick lists of turners. The zips are mostly adjacent to each each other som 3 digits and 4 digits are areas.

I have been working on a project for AAW with member locations as of December 2018.
The little black squares are member locations. The red squares are chapters.9AC8D56F-5A35-4E1E-B129-9325CBC5EF6B.png

Thanks for the replies and the help in finding other members and thanks Mark for the birthday whish. Looks like the closest members would be about 40 miles. I did get to know tree service guy and followed him around with my chainsaw as he was trimming trees for the city. I browsed around the area craft shows and flea markets last summer but didn't find a single turner. I plan to set up at one of them next summer. Thanks everyone

You might check with a makerspace in your area, many of these have wood lathes and metal lathes and offer classes, Marshall may have one

You might check with a makerspace in your area, many of these have wood lathes and metal lathes and offer classes, Marshall may have one
Thanks Mike for the suggestion but there is nothing lathe related in Marshall. I'm there almost every day and my favorite stores are lumber yards and such-any place that sells tools. I'm doing pretty good on my own. U tube helps a lot but a hands on class would certainly help me. Dave

Back