• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Manor

I've been an international member (from Sydney, Australia) of AAW for a few years now, but I am new to the Forum.

I've been turning for about 12 years, this being my main interest in my retirement. I've been focusing over recent times on ornamental turning - I built myself a rose engine based on plans provided to me by a local (and the only) ornamental turning group called OTGA (Ornamental Turning Group of Australia). Unfortunately this group is not as active as I would like, and, I have had to learn the hard way, following resources of organisations such as AAW. It's been a tough road, and I am so envious of the incredible woodturning activity in the USA, particularly the regular conventions and club demonstrations.

The resources offered by the AAW are wonderful, and I spend much time researching the vast amount of material in articles, videos etc. I recently built the equipment required for wood piercing, and also picked up very useful tips on wood piercing techniques

I posted my first entry to the Photo Gallery today "For Sweet Things". I was disappointed that the thumbnail does not show the whole piece which one can see on opening the file. I'd be interested to know how one can ensure that the thumbnail shows the full piece.

I am busy building a vacuum chucking system to use on my Vicmarc VL 175 lathe - I much useful information on this from AAW resources. I look forward to active participation in the Forum.

By the way, are there any demonstration videos from the most recent AAW Convention?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, David.

The thumbnail images are square crops of of the full size images and are only intended to be clickable links. They are automatically generated by the software so there isn't any capability of doing smart cropping and resizing. Your only workaround would be to have more empty space around the turning. While that might make the thumbnail look better it would be a negative factor for the full size image.

I'm not aware of demonstration videos from the AAW symposiums.

Welcome to the crew. I think AAW used (over 10 years ago) to send out DVD to the clubs they have discontinued that practise. I can only guess that is because there are so many videos available now. The AAW Video Source on the AAW site is a good place to look for videos.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the crew. I think AAW used (over 10 years ago) to send out DVD to the clubs they have discontinued that practise. I can only guess that is because there are so many videos available now. The AAW Video Source on the AAW site is a good place to look for videos.

I can think of a couple reasons. The most obvious would be the impact on symposium attendance if somebody could see the reruns on DVD for little or no cost instead of attending the symposium. The less obvious, but more complicated issue would involve copyright agreements and royalty payments to demonstrators and in some cases demonstrators have their own videos that they market. I don't know if SWAT still sells videos of the regional demonstrators. I know that the price was pretty high the last time that I checked.

Back