• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

David Witton

Hello
My current lathe is a Sears Craftsman that I bought back in 1976 as part of my carpentry business - I lived in a small town in Northern California, and did a bit of work restoring Victorian homes. The lathe came in handy turning detail pieces like rosettes and finials. At the time, I didn't know anyone with a lathe, and had never used one, so learning was by trial and error - mostly error. Work led me in other directions, and the lathe sat idle except when I needed a turning for a piece of furniture. Recently I visited a friend who turns bowls, and I thought I'd give that a try. I was amazed at the wealth of information that's available on the web - now I know how it's supposed to be done! I live in far eastern Idaho where there's quite a bit of aspen available, although I'm envious of those who live where there's a better variety of wood available. I'm just about to upgrade to a better lathe, thinking about the Laguna 1216, and looking forward to learning lots from y'all.

Back