• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Day of Gratitude

Some folks never say thanks, some say thanks in other than words. Came back from a fractured hip - when will old people learn not to put throw rugs on the floor - who actually thanked me, something unusual in EMS, believe me, and got a call from the township supervisor. The computer was acting up in the office, and they needed to get it right and install the tax software updates. I was already up, so I went and helped recover from three inept clerks while he went to get me coffee.

Back home, and get a gift from another neighbor whose wounds I once bandaged, pictured below.

How did the elected official apologize twenty minutes ago? Picture below the turning treasure. Typical of a politician, if you think of it.

Time to say thanks for good neighbors!

ADD EDIT - Just got off the phone with a man whose wife did a tibia/fibula nine weeks ago. "Are you still interested in some big aspen? I'd like to thank you some way." Aspen's good.

Attachments

• Red-Oak.jpg
    Red-Oak.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 239
  • s-Thanks.jpg
    s-Thanks.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Website
www.zionfire.com
That thought must be in the breeze. We were talking about it on Monday night at our turners' meeting. Just the simple idea of actually saying "Thank you" to people who've gone out of their way to make sure that doors are open, that the coffee's on, that there's wood to play with on our "Learn To Turn" Saturdays, all those things. Even a thank you for a great attitude from someone who's supposed to serve.

A mite off topic, but good example. Delayed airplane. Angry, angry customer threatening everything short of bodily harm. Clerk gets him away from the counter finally. Next one in line says very quietly, "Take a deep breath. We all know it's not your fault. You handled that jerk amazingly well. I'd have had to hurt him." Clerk breathed deeply, smiled, and processed the rest of the line. The person with the soft word restoring calm walked to the gate, went to turn into the coach section, but was intercepted by the stew and excorted to first class instead! "But that's not what I paid for!" "But that's what your boarding pass says, sir. Thank you!"

"A gentle word turns away wrath."

It really feels good to hear a simple "Thank You". Costs a breath of air and moment of someones time but it can make such a big difference to someone. When they're a frump, you couldn't care less, but if you feel they appreciate what you're doing, you'll go that extra mile.

My thoughts

Paul

OK, I should have been sleeping, but the wood's not going to improve in the sun, and I had to get the laundry washed and on the line. These first two were a good time, because I couldn't get them above 360. Waaaaay out of balance, for reasons obvious in the pictures. Even when round, the difference in weight was intolerable. Big checks dictated the shape and size, but the first is 15.5 x 5, The second 14 x 3.5. Other piece will probably do deeper.

Attachments

• Exercise-in-Imbalance.jpg
    Exercise-in-Imbalance.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 460
  • Exercise-in-Imbalance-2.jpg
    Exercise-in-Imbalance-2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 466
Thank You packages

Micheal is right, and my good deeds this week went in the mail yesterday.

A Baby Rattle for a new granddad in Atlanta that works for one of my dealers (real job).

A box of corks and dowels for a magazine editor, that turns. who I met at a show ( again real job) a few weeks ago who sent me a nice cherry burl. When I intro'd myself he recognized my name from another forum.

One each of my best bottle stoppers to a guy who wrote a big check to one of my favorite causes and the other to a couple who bought me a really nice dinner on a business trip a couple of months ago.

A few nice BS blanks for a turner who sent me a part I needed for a project who I met on a forum. I just haven't been able to find the part in an appropriate quantity (one) or affordable. So now I got one for free!

All five package cost me a grand total of $17 to mail, I think, what goes around comes around, and to share my hobby with both other turners and friends is the best use of this little obsession of mine. Besides who doesn't love opening a package in the mail.

Frank

PS: Guy at the post office wants something now for his troubles.

Back