• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deal-no- Deal

What would be a "fair" price to pay for a used(old but not worn) Stronghold chuck with #2 jaws and no adaptor bushing? Any insight would be appreciated.

Website
www.vinceswoodnwonders.com
Hi Jake,

New the chuck sells for $259.00 including shipping from Oneway. So I guess the question is how bad do you need/want it! Oneway products tend to last a very long time. In fact, you can go to my website and download a presentation I made of Oneway's shop. In there you will see the machine that actually makes the chuck. It is incredable!!!!

Vince

Website
www.zionfire.com
Deal or no deal, is indeed the question! And as usual, my answer is mostly questions! :p

Jake, how much chuck do you really need? That should also be part of your thought process. If you're running a Jet mini, the Stronghold is so far in the overkill zone as to be crazy. If you're running anything up to and including a 16" swing, the Talon is the recommended size (recommended by Oneway). Certainly a 16" lathe can handle the Stronghold, but it really does not need to. The Stronghold weighs in at a hefty 8 pounds while the Talon is a sufficient 3.5 pounds.

Buy enough chuck. Don't burden your machine unnecessarily. IMO.

If you've got a medium lathe (12-16" swing) and what you describe as an "old but not worn" chuck was say $100, I'd say that was a deal. You're going to have to purchase an insert ($23 plus shipping, that was included in the original purchase!) and whatever other jaws or accessories you want/need. Stronghold jaws & accessories are generally a little more expensive than Talon or Oneway (smallest of their chucks). $3-$5 in most cases, I think.

So, if it's for your mini-lathe, it's no deal! If it's for your midi (12-14" swing) and it's $100, yeah, I'd say that's an okay deal. If it's for your 16-24" big lathe and $25, it's a heck of a deal!

One man's opinion, with input from Oneway's site. YMMV.

Dean has hit the nail on the head pretty much. If you have the lathe to handle the Stronghold its worth having, IMO. Can't beat the holding power and Oneway seems to stand behind thier stuff. I have one and I'd buy another (used) to put another sized set of jaws on in a heartbeat. 1/2 the cost of new would be a good deal if the condition warranted (very little wear) and thats my opinion for whatever its worth.
Brad

I knew when asking, that chuck was only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. My concern was not to pay too much and yet give the seller (fellow club member) a fair price.

Dean, my 3520 can handle and should have a Stronghold available. I fear I'm pushing the Tallon I have too far at times.

Lumpy, I think half of the new one would be the low end under the current circumstances.

Thanks gentlemen.

Website
www.zionfire.com
Jake said:
Dean, my 3520 can handle and should have a Stronghold available. I fear I'm pushing the Tallon I have too far at times.

Lumpy, I think half of the new one would be the low end under the current circumstances.
You're welcome, Jake!

Yes, your 3520 can benefit from this chuck, absolutely, especially if you're using the lathe at or near it's 20" max.

I disagree with your thought about 50% of new being enough, unless you get ALL of the thing. That means the threaded insert that is part of the package, along with the screw-chuck that is also part of the original package. Allowing $25 for the new insert for your lathe means that $100 would be half less a new insert. IMO.

Let us know what works, sir!

Back