• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Decent Peppermill Kits?

I try to keep a sense of humor about things. I kept saying that last year was my most challenging year in 25 years of teaching, but this year said, "Wait, hold my beer," lol. Turning is helping me stay sane. In fact I'm finishing up a beautiful black walnut bowl today. Take care of yourselves, gentlemen. Now back to the topic.
Hi Aaron, I am also an English teacher emeritus. I completely agree with your need to have a hobby to counter the strong need to prep for class lessons and to correct papers. My wife encouraged me to take a Tech course in woodworking. When I finished the course, she noticed I was less stressed, so she encouraged me to contiue to be a wood worker. I'm unbelievably grateful for her encouragement. Wood working has been a wonderfully fulfilling hobby in my retirement.

The Crushgrind (TM) mechanism I tried wore out within a year of use. None really compare with a good Peugeot mill.
Hi Roger, I take what you share with serious interest. Your comments are always well thought out and come from experience. I wonder if you gift or sell your peppermills. If you sell, what is/are the outlet(s)? And do they sell well? The price of the mechanism is prohibitively high for me to gift.

Don't even consider making a salt shaker, pepper mill, etc. until you get (and read) a copy of Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers And Mills by Chris West. There's a section in the book dedicated to the CrushGrind@ mechanism. Everything you need to know.

You don't need a "kit". Buy CrushGrind mechanisms (see Packard Woodworks at https://www.packardwoodworks.com/153201.html?Category_Code=). Pick your favorite wood (3"x3"x12") for the mill body and cap and turn the exterior to the shape that you desire.

Some photos of my work:

View attachment 40200 ______ View attachment 40201

Some info from an earlier post follows.

When properly installed, the CrushGrind@ mechanism requires no epoxy or similar adhesive. Here’s the deal.

Most, but not all, instructions for making CrushGrind@ mills provided by US suppliers specify 1) a 1⁹/₁₆” diameter hole in the mill body for the grinding mechanism, 2) removal of the spring clips from the grinding mechanism and 3) use of epoxy (or similar) to secure the grinding mechanism in the mill body. These same instructions specify 1) a 15/16” diameter hole in the mill cap for the stopper, 2) removal of the spring clips from the stopper and 3) use of epoxy (or similar) to secure the stopper in the mill cap. One can make a very nice pepper/salt/spice mill using these instructions. But there is a better way! It’s the no epoxy-required way.

The manufacturer’s recommendation for the diameter of the hole in the mill body for the CrushGrind@ mechanism is 38mm (1.496”). I am good with calling that 1½” (1.500”). The manufacturer’s recommendation for the diameter of the hole in the mill cap for the stopper is 22mm (0.866”). I am good with calling that 7/8” (0.875”).

No epoxy (or similar) is required to secure the grinding mechanism in the mill body and the stopper in the mill cap if 1) the CrushGrind@ manufacture’s recommendations for the mill body and mill cap hole diameters are used and 2) a groove is cut in the mill body and the mill cap to accept the spring clips on the grinding mechanism and stopper.

Sorby makes a groove cutting tool for CrushGrind@ mechanisms. It's available on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Sorby-895CGH-Crush-Grind/dp/B00JMJKML2. It’s a must-have tool if one is going to install the CrushGrind@ mechanism in pepper/salt/spice mills using the spring clips and no epoxy.

With the grinding mechanism and stopper press fit into the mill body and cap, respectively, and the spring clips lock into the mill body and cap grooves, epoxy is not required for a secure fit.

An excellent set of instructions for making a pepper/salt/spice mill using the CrushGrind@ mechanism can be found in Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills by Chris West, “Drilling and Fitting a CrushGrind@ Mechanism,” p 132.

In my opinion, the CrushGrind@ mechanism is far superior to the stainless steel grinding mechanisms. It can be used to grind pepper, salt and spices. The grind can be adjusted from coarse to very fine. It’s made of non-corrosive ceramic. There is a 25-year guarantee on the ceramic parts inside the CrushGrind@ mechanism.

Give it a try. I think you will like it. – John

PS - The Sorby groove cutting tool is notched to register the correct depth of the groove in the mill body. It is also etched for the correct depth of the groove in the mill cap. - J
Yep! Totally agree. I’ve done well over 100 of these in the last two years and they are far superior to traditional mills, IMO.

Brian and everyone else-I can't thank you and everyone else enough for all the helpful suggestions. Sounds like the crush-grind mechanism is the overwhelming preference. I hope to get to some of these soon, but for the past month-plus I have been trying to keep a very big English department of a huge suburban high school running, with numerous teachers and students out at any give time either with covid, awaiting test results, or just quarantining (not to mention some I think are just taking advantage). Plus I'm teaching our largest AP English Language and Literature class in decades along with a couple of sections of English IV Honors. Oh, and we got almost an entirely new administration, which was desperately needed, but we're basically re-inventing a large high school. Don't get me wrong-I love my job more than words can express. It's truly my mission in life, but it definitely limits my shop time until I get a break.

That said, your suggestions are appreciated, and will be acted on at some point.

edit: I try to keep a sense of humor about things. I kept saying that last year was my most challenging year in 25 years of teaching, but this year said, "Wait, hold my beer," lol. Turning is helping me stay sane. In fact I'm finishing up a beautiful black walnut bowl today. Take care of yourselves, gentlemen. Now back to the topic.
Perhaps you should take a lathe to work and turn during meetings.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but don't hesitate to either buy the recess tool for the clip system, or make your own for a fraction of the cost. Do not take the advice I got and cut the tabs off in favour of using epoxy - I've had to replace several units because I did this, at my expense, and that has cost me way more than the tool! Plus, using the tool to make the recess cuts down on the assembly time by a huge margin - no fussing with epoxy necessary and the added confidence that you won't have any issues down the road.

Back