• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deep Hollow Form Wall Thickness Laser

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm moving toward doing some very deep hollow forms. Working my way toward about 24" deep. Currently up to about 15" and getting comfortable with the process and order of steps. Different than a typical 5"-10" form that I do a lot of. I have a DWay hollowing rig that I started with, an articulated Simple Hollow System with a 5/8 adapter plus a home made 3/4 captured bar setup. All of these have wall thickness gauges (laser or spring finger) that let me keep an eye on wall thickness up to about 11-12" depending on the wood. After that I switch to the Roly Munro 3/4 bar with a customized tool rest.

The issue was I had no way to keep an eye on wall thickness beyond about 12". I looked at making some custom calipers out of 1/8" aluminum, looked online, etc. Couldn't find anything that would work and making them got to be complicated plus they would be hard to maneuver around my steady rest, heavy, etc. I ended up making this rig. A laser setup on light but straight and stiff wood strips set at about 7/16 thickness gap between the laser and the guide. So far it seems to be light enough to manage and meets the need. Maybe add an adjustable feature to the guide stick in the future but for now if I can keep close to 7/16" - 1/2" all the way to the bottom I'll be happy. Not foolproof but like a lot of DIY tools and jigs, if you made it and know it's limitations it can work just fine. I always assume someone smarter than me has figured this out before or sees something I did wrong or could improve on. Let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_7034.JPG
    IMG_7034.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 105
You've probably seen this already for yourself, but it's necessary to keep your instrument tangent to the hollow form wall to get an accurate thickness reading.

If that proves difficult/annoying to do freehand, you might be able to temporarily attach it (tape? spring clamps?) to your hollowing rig to fix the instrument's orientation while you make your assessment.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
It's actually fairly easy to handle and keep in the right plane. The bottom guide stick is flat on the bottom so simply set it on the tool rest and slide it in mimicking the path the hollowing tool would follow. It's essentially a model of a hollowing tool with a typical laser mount. Precision is not the goal here. If I can just keep my wall thickness in the lane somewhere close to 1/2" I'm happy.

Back