• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Delta 46-700 Heating Problem

A history search failed to yield any information on this problem.

Lathe is an older version of the 46-700 (on-off switch on motor), but with same variable speed pully. Neighbor purchased new model 2 years ago and has same problem: Machine gets very hot after running 30 minutes.

Local warrenty shop has serviced this problem twice; first didn't put head together, second attempt re-assembled, but variable speed left lose. I tightened tension to get some pully engagement, but still over-heats.

Inside of variable speed has before slipped on shaft and rubed against shoulder. I checked, but this is not the problem this time.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Charles

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Check the centrifugal switch inside the motor. There is a possibility that the swich may be broken and not disengaging when the motor reaches running speed. If this is the case, the start winding remains connected all of the time which will cause the motor to draw a much higher than normal currrent and this causes the motor to run hotter. If this turns out to be the problem, it needs to be addressed soon or else the start winding or start capacitor may burn out.

Bill

Are we discussing a motor getting hot or the Reeves drive/spindle getting hot? If the motor I would check the above and/or talk to a good motor rewind company and see what they say. If it is the Reeves drive unit and spindle getting hot this sounds like belt slippage and I would add more tension to the belt.

I know this is a long shot, and I'm not sure about this model anyway, but if it is the motor getting hot check to make sure it is the right voltage. If it is one of those dual voltage motors it may be wired for 240 and is only getting 120, or the other way around. Laugh if you will, but I've seen people do it.

Charles, I had a Delta 46-715 variable speed lathe. It's a good thing they came with a two year warranty because it spent far too much time getting repaired. I did not have the overheating problem but had constant problems with the variable speed mechanism. I got so tired of taking it to be repaired that I started doing it myself. The problem with that is Delta doesn't like to send out parts on a machine that is under warranty. I fought with them over and over again. I don't know what the 46-700 has in common with the 46-715 but what I do know is the headstock on the 46-715 was very heavy and would make a good anchor. I got ride of my lathe and got a real lathe. I'm not trying to be a wise guy but the truth is my Delta lathe was only meant for occasional use. That statement came from one of the technical reps at Delta. I was using it every day. I guess the lesson is that you must ask before you buy if the machine is meant for heavy usage.
Ed

Website
www.zionfire.com
Have you checked to make sure that the bearings are not spinning in their races? You can have nice tight bearings, but if they're not staying where they were meant to stay, you can get the housing and the hand wheel too hot to touch. Been there with a Carba-Tec mini. The older style black one? HOT!!!

Delta heating problem

Thank you all for the advice. Guess I'll start with the simple and go from there.

Problem is with the motor getting very hot. Neighbor has a 2-year old of same model with the same problem. His was OK for a while and then started heating.

Seems unlikely to come from factory with 110 plug, but wired 220. Still, no one is perfect.

Will also address the belt and relay the findings.

Charles

Back