• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Do Over?

Ever wish you hadn't put a piece of the wood on the splitter? This was to be a portion of my night fire, but now I'm tempted to try something with it instead. Nasty radial check in a bad position may prevent getting even a dish out of it, but I think I'm going to try anyway. Perhaps a bit of black epoxy fill will save enough depth for something useful.

If I get some turning time between chores this weekend I'll have a go at an "unnatural edge" shallow bowl or dish. Wish I had the other piece, but I may have already put him up the chimney.

Attachments

• Do-Over.jpg
    Do-Over.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 398
WAY too pretty in the ripple there! With a little imagination there's something beautiful can come from that chunk.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
If people saw some of the stuff going into my wood furnace, they would be here with pitchforks and torches - and chainsaws! That would make some nice spindle stuff as well.

I decided to make or break one piece rather than cut it up into small ones. Between Norm/TOH and Roy, here's whats waiting to be sanded after a day or two of step-down. Not all I'd have wished for, but shows promise of salablity.

Think I'll do a wire brush edge to kick away the silver fuzz rather than a char. Have an idea that I might try one of my mini-mops as an alternative.

Attachments

• Waitsand-1.jpg
    Waitsand-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 322
  • Waitsand-2.jpg
    Waitsand-2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 323
Now that is interesting! I have done the wire brush thing, but not a "char". How would you go about that and only effect the natural edge?

Charlie M

Char is what it says. I use a little mini-torch to char the edges rather than color them black. Happens before final sanding, which takes care of any overburns. Daub on the first coat of finish or you'll spread the black. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/Feltmate-Dish-Opposite.jpg

Minimops are sanding devices sold by Klingspor http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-...etween=0&daysBetweenFix=0&monthsBetween=0that do a neat job of smoothing carvings and such without destroying contour. Even my brass brush does a bit of its own sculpting, so I'll give the mop a try on a piece of end scrap from this chunk and see if I like it.

Wood is soft maple, though it was summer cut and kept low in the stack, which sort of spreads the darker color through the piece. It has some spalting, which isn't really a plus here, but often you can ferment the wood without spalt. Smells like wine.

Nice save Michael. Now you will have me checking the opposing wood on every canker also. It will take days to turn a tree into firewood and the pieces will go from 24" to little disks because I will not want to pass up any chances that could be lost. I hate splitting too because of finding my overlooked opportunities. I guess this spring will not be any different.:eek:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
George, that is a very nice shape on that bowl there. If it were me, I would be tempted to sand the edge smooth while retaining its overall shape. But that's just me.

char

Now that is interesting! I have done the wire brush thing, but not a "char". How would you go about that and only effect the natural edge?

Charlie M

Reminded about
charing" on this forum a couple of months ago-didn't have a blow torch and was fearful of setting fire to shop. Heard about the micro blow torch-went to home Despot, and bought one for around $30. Have used it on about 20 small natural edged and a couple of larger ones. I first sand edges (220) to get rid of ? cambian fibrous layer, scorch, and then wire brush and then sand to 400 after applying mineral oil for "wet" sanding. I am very pleased with the appearance. Looks natural, but gives a more finished appearance to the rustic piece. Gretch

char

Thanks Gretch. I'll look up the micro-torch the next visit to the city. I also don't like the idea of an exposed flame in the shop. I would take the piece off the lathe and do such an operation outside. (I still get reminded about the burning bowl in the microwave)

Charlie M

Back