• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Double-sided tape?

I'm interested in turning a spindle such that I can separate the two halves and have two identical half-spindles. Is there a double-sided tape that would help in this application? Should I allow extra waste wood on the ends and actually screw the ends together? If I took the second route it still seems that I'd need some means to keep the middle parts held together during spinning.

The best method I've seen is to glue the two peices together using wood glue but put a peice of newspaper between the wood. After its turned use a chisel or knife to break the joint apart. The paper will keep the wood from actually bonding. Works for me every time.

Haven't tried the newspaper. I think the usual method is to use Kraft paper (i.e. shopping bags). Also used on glue blocks.

If the final form of the spindles is too delicate to withstand breaking apart, extra wood on the ends, as initially mentioned, could be augmented with filament tape at several places along the workpiece. Remove the tape at the location being worked, and replace afterwards. Fold a flap on the end of the tape to facilitate removal, and wrap the tape clockwise so that the flap hits the toolrest in a way that doesn't peel it off the work. (Clumsy way to describe, but I think you can figure it out. :eek: )

JG

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Charlie, the double-sided tape method will work, but it depends upon how fast you crank up the rpm's. Also, if the tape is really "good" and you turn a very delicate spindle, then getting them apart could be tricky without breaking something. Instead of a continuous piece of tape, you might consider applying it in sections with small gaps; this will make separation easier. I've found "Duck" brand indoor/outdoor carpet tape to be very affordable and effective.

Website
www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Another issue that might arise is the tendency for the drive center and tailstock center to split the turning. If possible, I would use a chuck and minimum tailstock pressure.

Something else to watch is that the turning is centered very carefully on the split line. If it does go off center I guess that with care one could reduce the larger half on a belt sander.

As others have mentioned, the final must be robust enough to take the pressure of opening it. Broadbanders might appreciate the method used here.
http://marleyturned.com/id126.htm

Works for ornaments in the stage prior to reversal just fine. If spindly in the final form, might want to run a bead of hot glue or low-stick masking tape around as a band to stop the squirm. The low-stick works great for taping tops in register with box bottoms for finishing the lid.

Back