• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Doug Agee

Hello everyone! I've been lurking long enough and felt it was time for a proper introduction. Thanks to my dad, I have been woodworking for some time, but just recently took up woodturning and am really enjoying it. I launched a community knife sharpening side business in late 2019, outside of my day job, that has helped pay for a lathe and supplies.

As for turning, I have made some practice bowls and some spindle type things. I have also made tool handles and spurtles. My goal for 2023 is to make a few things to share here and to take a couple classes this year. I hope is to grow my bowl turning skills over the coming years to be proud to give as gifts and maybe even sell to feed the addiction. I feel like I have a built in audience with my knife sharpening customers that could generate a few dollars and perhaps create some wood sources.

I want to say thank you and that I appreciate all the sharing and experience in this community. I look forward to growing my skills and personal connections in 2023.

lathe-agee-08.2022.png

Welcome to the forum. Nice cabinet. I built one for my first lathe but not on wheels. As time has passed and the turning tools have multiplied I now have three cabinets stacked and two more on wheels. We love to see pictures of your turning.

Thanks, Gerald. I'm working on some things to share, but most have been worthy of a fiery tribute. I even got the "funnel" bowl out of the way.

I am looking forward to growing the skills and the nerve to share more this year. Thanks for the nudge and here are some of the early practice pieces that are good for holding parts.

Attachments

• first-bowls-20220905.jpg
    first-bowls-20220905.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 9

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Howdy from Chattanooga! I appreciate the introduction—nice to know your wood history. Look forward to seeing more of your pieces. Cheers!

Back