• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Doug Freeman

New member to AAW and Woodturners of SW Missouri. While new to here and a somewhat local club (50 mi drive from Lebanon to Springfield) I'm not new to turning. I started turning about 6 years ago with a HF 34706 lathe just to add to my shop's capability. I was more into flat work. Over time I became more interested in turning, making bowls, platters, boxes, hollow forms, ornaments, segmented turning, some spindle turning - enough that I invested in a new lathe Dec '18, a Nova Galaxi. I still do some flat work, just not near as much.

I've still got another 7-8 years before retiring, but with the kids gone I now have time to pursue in-depth the things I really like to do - woodworking, motorcycles, fly fishing, and guns. I do the majority of my woodworking during the nasty weather months Nov to May. When the weather starts to clear, as it is now, I transition my off work time more to motorcycles, fly fishing, and mix in some target practice to keep those skills polished up.

I look forward to learning more about turning on the forum and perhaps I can provide helpful information to others. No pics of me but here are a couple of my lathe with a log loaded up that became a vase.

Attachments

• shop-1.jpg
    shop-1.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 64
  • shop-2.jpg
    shop-2.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 59
Thanks everyone. Yes, the Galaxi is quite an improvement over the HF lathe (which is surprisingly capable). Not sure I would have went with the previous version of the Nova DVR - the speed dial and speed presets, along with heavy cast iron legs, were big pluses in the decision. The main pro for me is the rotating headstock - the HF lathe showed me how much better hollowing bowls and other forms is with the lathe bed out of the way. The accessory outboard tool rest is a big plus as well. I don't have a large area for the lathe so all the other alternatives, besides being more cumbersome, also require a lot of room.

Yes, lots of tools. My school of thought for beginners is buy cheaper tools - you don't know what you don't know. There are many opinions out there with a lot of divergence. Learn how to sharpen, how to use the tools, try different sizes, grind them up to try different shapes and bevel angles, and when you find what works and the tool is gone, buy better grade tools. As for tool storage, I've been in manufacturing most of my career and 5S becomes 2nd nature - in short every tool has a place and every tool in it's place. Walls and shelves in my shop are full, so the tools go on the lathe.

Back