• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drew Sumrell

Hi fellow woodturners,

My introduction to woodturning was some 52 years ago in high school shop class. I was rather fascinated with the craft so purchased my first lathe shortly after graduating from college in 1972. I've been turning off and on all this time with some periods of years when I didn't do much due to family, work and other interest. In recent years I've certainly become passionate about turning again and have been enjoying it more than ever. Joining AAW was a reawakening to turning and hope I can share my experiences and knowledge gained as the years pass. I wish I had discovered AAW many decades before. It's a treasure.

Turning is a creative outlet for me as I'm never bored with a new piece of wood to explore. I have recently enjoyed turning bowls and hollow forms but also enjoy lidded boxes. I've also done a lot of spindle turning over the years making kitchen utensils, lamps, tool handles etc.

Flowering Vase - Cherry.JPG

Cherry Hollow Form-1.JPG Cherry Hollow Form II-2.JPG Cherry Hollow Form.JPG 2019 Turnings-3.JPG Drew's Shop.JPG

Happy and safe turning all.

Cheers!

Drew
Boone, NC

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome,
Thanks for sharing some pieces.
My path to turning is a little like yours.

I became fascinated in high school. Got a lathe in 1975 used it off and on. Then in 1987 I began turning whenever I could.

Looking forward to your posts

Welcome. You have some nice turnings! I'm guessing the first photo is turned and carved?

Keep going! Was in Boone many centuries ago, beautiful country! Love the southern Appalachian mountains.

Welcome!
nice turnings--really like the first one--haven't tried one like that yet.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hi fellow woodturners,

My introduction to woodturning was some 52 years ago in high school shop class. I was rather fascinated with the craft so purchased my first lathe shortly after graduating from college in 1972. I've been turning off and on all this time with some periods of years when I didn't do much due to family, work and other interest. In recent years I've certainly become passionate about turning again and have been enjoying it more than ever. Joining AAW was a reawakening to turning and hope I can share my experiences and knowledge gained as the years pass. I wish I had discovered AAW many decades before. It's a treasure.

Turning is a creative outlet for me as I'm never bored with a new piece of wood to explore. I have recently enjoyed turning bowls and hollow forms but also enjoy lidded boxes. I've also done a lot of spindle turning over the years making kitchen utensils, lamps, tool handles etc.

View attachment 30343

View attachment 30344 View attachment 30345 View attachment 30346 View attachment 30347 View attachment 30348

Happy and safe turning all.

Cheers!

Drew
Boone, NC
Nice work! Welcome to the forum. Aloha

Back