• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drew Zottola

I have been turning for 4 years. I can not get enough of turning

. I am just starting to like my work but it still not good enough for me. I have a lot of spalted wood which I make bowls up to 13 inches.i bought a laguna 18/36 about 2 years ago which I really like. I am wondering now if I would like a robust lathe better.still trying to figure out how to post, etc.

Any time you can move up to a bigger heavier lathe makes it easier to tackle bigger projects and out of balance wood blanks.
Before you make the leap you might also consider the length of items you want to turn down the road.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
am just starting to like my work but it still not good enough for me.

best way to like your work better is to take a good quality class.
Most everyone would like a ONEWAY or a Robust over a Laguna.
However neither lathe will make your work better. Improved skills lead to improved work.

I assume you have connected with a local chapter, if not, I urge you to do so.
Chapters offer so many learning opportunities.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Drew. I have owned a Robust American Beauty for eight years and it is definitely one of the best high end lathes. However, Don't be led into thinking that a lathe or turning tools will make you a better turner. I think that you can hone your skills with your current lathe and you will reach a point where you know why a move up is justifiable.

Back