• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drill Press Advice

Website
www.beyondbark.com
I am looking to replace my piece of junk table top drill press with a standing press. I have never bought a standing drill press and i am looking for some advice on what to look for? No specific use in mind aside from drilling pen blanks and general usage. Looking for a mid range press. Any suggestions on brand, model, or things to look for?

Website
www.zionfire.com
As with almost every answer I give, it comes with questions!

Recommendations all depend on what it is that you want to do! The more features you can get, the more speeds you can access, the better and more versatile you'll be. If you want a floor model for the express purpose of drilling pen blanks, you don't need much versatility! If you're drilling tuning pin blocks for pianos or harpsichords, you need to consider compound table movements and a larger table, plus you really want top quality bearings that will drill true. If you're poking holes for scroll-sawing, you don't need much.

As always, the best thing you can do is get somewhere with several makes and models to give 'em a road test. Kick their tires good, take along a couple of your hardest tests. Make 'em work for their new home.
:cool2:

M

mkart

I would recommend buying one with a table that cranks up and down. I have two that do not and it is a pain to adjust.
Matt

I have a variable speed Delta and I'm happy with it. Can't imagine having a table that didn't adjust up and down. :eek:

Oh, Cyril, they all adjust. Those (like mine) without a geared rack will land on your toe if you let go of the table with the clamp loose. It hurts!!

Website
www.zionfire.com
Actually, it's a double whammy. Pun intended. Ya get mashed when the table & mechanism hit the bottom, and then when the unclamped or underclamped vise lets go and smacks you again in the foot or shins. YOWIE! :eek:

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
My cheap import floor model drillpress has very noticeable runout on the spindle which is bothersome sometimes. Most of the time it doesn't make any difference unless I have a very small drill bit in the chuck, then almost invariably the bit breaks. So look and feel for any wobble, wiggle, or shake on the chuck.
Most DPs have some type of depth stop, which is very handy sometimes. Usually a locking knob on the quill feed,

Don't throw away the old tabletop, if it's any good. I use mine with an 8" disk of MDF chucked in it, charged with white polishing compound on the top face AND edge, to hone all my edged tools (kitchen knives, lathe tools, etc.) The top face is great for the skews especially.

Last edited:
boehme said:
Yikes! You mean that there are actually DP tables w/o cranks, a.k.a. Armstrong lifts? That could be bad news for your toes if you just happened to have a vise mounted on it.

Bill

Which is why they give you a limit collar. If not, make one from a tailpipe hanger. Keep it tight high enough to save your shins (DAMHIKT) unless you need the capacity.

Sure wish I could retrofit mine economically with a lift. Old Sears Roebuck that makes the current Chiwan crop look like crap and has the easiest to set, most positive depth stop around. Good thing for a turner to have for getting a flat surface with multiple Forstner bores or a Saf-t-Planer.

Could be I give it to my eldest, who's got a strong young back and settle for less accuracy and convenience, but most likely I will continue to struggle with it for a while until I'm positively decrepit.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Have you looked at the new Powermatic drill press. Most of the things I would change on my Delta floor model have been changed on the new Powermatic. I love the new table on that thing. I plan to look at it closer but I'm pretty happy with my Delta except for the table being too small.
I also like the crank up table. I drilled holes in the rack part of the crank and installed 1/8" roll pins. this keeps the table aligned so thiers no chance of drilling into the table. If I need to shift the table left or right such as when you have the table tilted 90 degrees then I simply knock out the roll pins so I can remove the rack.

I've actually found that floor model drill presses (and large table models with geared a movable tables) are something that passes regularly through the local used tool store. They tend to be old commercial models that people are ditching to move up in the world to nice, new models with laser gauges, dialed variable speeds, espresso makers, etc. Very solid and functional and at about 1/3 the price. Got my 4', 1hp model for $99. Would have chipped for a new one if I was doing lots of detail and precision work but I don't and it works quite well.

dietrich

table stop safety device

For those of you out there who are tired of the table falling farther than you intend it to go: get a collar that fits the column of the drill press. Delta makes an aftermarket collar that fits around the column that keeps the table from falling all the way to the floor. I'm thinking even an inexpensive hose clamp could do the same job. If the table does fall and hit the base, it can break into two pieces (I don't want to go down that expensive road again).

Back