• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Early attempts. Comments? Suggestions?

I've only had the lathe for a couple weeks and I know that I have a loooooong way to go, but I am seeing progress and that's encouraging. These are some of my first pieces, there were a couple more between the first and second ones but my wife gave them away and I don't have any pictures.. The first one was turned using a carbide turning set that I bought with the lathe. I have an engine lathe that I have had for years and use mostly carbide insert tooling for that, so when this tool set poped up as a suggestion it seemed reasonable. In hindsight, it has its place but not as a primry tool. Way too thick, but was as far as i was comfortable with at the time.
The second one is from a chunk of firewood that came with my house. I have no idea of its age or even what kind of wood it is. I'm assuming that it was cut from my property, 15 mostly wooded acres, and can rule out Pine and Oak. Maybe Pecan? I have quite a few of those. This was not intended to be anything but lathe practice, and the bowl does have a couple flaws that were too deep to turn out. This was my first use of a bowl gouge. A little rough at first but by the end I ws starting to get a feel for it.
The third one is the first time I set out with the intention of making something I could keep. It's layered Hard Maple and African Mahogany. The base is large, but that is because I was not comfortable hollowing it with a 2" foot, it is a little over 9" dia, so I got a set of 100mm chuck jaws to hold it. Could always turn it down later if I decide to. I toyed with the idea of turning a step in the bottom (inside) and cutting down into the mahogany, but decided against it. I think that would have looked odd. I hollowed this with a bowl gouge too and was feeling more comfortable with the tool by the time I got done.
These are all finished with tung oil. My biggest problem right now is tear out. The bowl gouge was an improvement and with practice I'm sure the finish quality will improve. I followed the gouge with very light cuts with a sharp scraper, but it seems like I am still getting more tear out than I should.
Whadaya think?IMG_5277.JPGIMG_5284.JPGIMG_5290.JPGIMG_5289.JPG

I would guess the top one is ash, not sure about #2. Overall, the forms are pretty good. Tear out is always a problem, more so on some woods than others. Some times if you dampen the wood, like with one of the misting squirt bottles and then take a very thin cut, that helps a lot. Some times you have to resort to the 80 grit gouge, which means abrasives. I prefer a shear scrape for my finish cut. I do have a video up about that, and others, mostly about bowl turning. Looks like you are having fun!

robo hippy

#1 is Ash, it's what I'm building with at the moment so I have lots of 8/4 drops. The Mahogany in the third one is left over from a boat project. I could stay busy turning nothing but shop scrap for quite a while. 80 grit has been my solution so far, even 60. I'll take a look at your videos, I am having fun but would be having even more with less sanding.

#1 is Ash, it's what I'm building with at the moment so I have lots of 8/4 drops. The Mahogany in the third one is left over from a boat project. I could stay busy turning nothing but shop scrap for quite a while. 80 grit has been my solution so far, even 60. I'll take a look at your videos, I am having fun but would be having even more with less sanding.
Took me a long time to learn the Zen of sanding. Ha ha

Takes a bit of determination to tackle tear out - learn about the different methods, perfect them, then figure out each piece of wood is different requiring one to determine which method is best, this time. Part of the fun of turning!

Takes a bit of determination to tackle tear out - learn about the different methods, perfect them, then figure out each piece of wood is different requiring one to determine which method is best, this time. Part of the fun of turning!
Sure enough. A little advice and a lot of practice. I've been playing with shear scraping like Robo recommended and am getting decent results. I'll figure it out. I am enjoying it so far, not sure why I ignored this aspect of woodworking for so long...better late than never I guess.

For your first efforts, these are outstanding results. You're getting good curves, and that usually takes quite a while to learn. Keep it up!
Thanks Dean! You are right, it does take a while to learn, but I've been at it for quite a while. This is an example of what I do, my current paying project. Not a straight line on it anywhere.IMG_0020.JPG

Back