• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Engraver for pens

There are 2 types of laser engravers (reasonably priced) that folks have made adapters for to engrave round objects like pens. Small NEJE cube type laser (I believe the person who makes the one for this type is out of Australia perhaps and EleksLaser-A3 Pro laser engraver and Peter Fabricius (Canada) makes the circular turning device for engraving pens (circular parts). I use this one with one of my engravers and it works perfectly.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Thinking about engraving turned pens. Any suggestions that are US based. Thanks for any suggestions.
Rodney, I use my Sainsmart 3018 CNC unit with a laser head to do my laser engraving. The entire unit, with laser, cost less than a few good woodturning tools ($350) and I also use it for CNC cutting and laser cutting. I used a dowel to get the settings correct before engraving 75 pens with our woodturning club's website. These pens were distributed last year in the pens for troops activity sponsored by Woodcraft. You can see the setup I made for laser engraving the pens and some of the finished products. This works well for pens that don't have that much change in depth, but larger curved surfaces requires a different setup. Hope this information helps. Brian

Attachments

• BH-2 Laser engraved pens.jpg
    BH-2 Laser engraved pens.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 36
  • pen laser engraving.jpg
    pen laser engraving.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 38
I use my Sainsmart 3018 CNC unit with a laser head to do my laser engraving. The entire unit, with laser, cost less than a few good woodturning tools ($350) and I also use it for CNC cutting and laser cutting.
Sounds like a lot of performance for very little money. Can you tell us more? What thickness wood or acrylic can you cut? Is this sold as a kit?

For under $400 you can buy a 40 Watt unit that will do a lot right out of the box. I have done some upgrades and I can do much more than right out of the box. The EleksLaser-A3 Pro laser engraver uses a diode laser and is shown with Peter Fabrisuis' jig for burning round objects. The CNC (similar to the 2 -in- 1 CNC 3018 sold on Amazon) cuts and I got a 9 watt diode laser for it (unfortunately I have not had time to play with it yet as I want to make a touch plate for it). This like woodturning has so many more things than what you might think that can make it better but it is great that you can get started with lasers and CNC for just a few bucks instead of thousands. If you are interested in cutting with a laser jump right to the 40 Watt laser.

Attachments

• 40watt.JPG
    40watt.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 30
  • CNC.JPG
    CNC.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Eleks.JPG
    Eleks.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 32
Bill, Looks like the piece to be engraved is between centers (Eleks), and the piece is rotating because the jig is captured by a spring loaded belt. The piece moves with the laser "arm" (X axis?). Genius.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I agree with Bill that more power is better. I have been making intricate cuts on thin basswood with my 5.5 watt laser on the 3018 machine. The 3018 also serves very well as a detailed carving machine and 3D engraving machine on wood and other materials. You have to decide on what all you are trying to do and how much you want to spend. Here's some images of the basswood laser cutouts I have made with my setup and a finished product.

Attachments

• all toys detail.jpg
    all toys detail.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 14
  • vase with laser cut inserts.jpg
    vase with laser cut inserts.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 14
Back