• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Equipment Question

I have a bit of a unique opportunity to upgrade my lathe. I say unique simply because I have a feeling I may be able to buy a very expensive lathe for very little money. I have an estate auction coming up near me that is essentially just personal property no tools or equipment except a Oneway 2436 lathe. This thing stand out like a sore thumb in this auction lineup as a major oddity. I am pretty sure there isn’t much debate about whether Oneway is a quality lathe and that it is a great option to upgrade to.
So that brings me to my question. Is there anything to be majorly concerned about with a large lathe like this? It is 25 years old based on the ID plate. I understand that it may be missing some features found on newer lathes. Outside of that is there anything that would be problematic with a lathe this old?
I’m very mechanically inclined so having to change a motor or bearings in the headstock isn’t that big of a deal depending on what the lathe sells for.
In my limited experience lathes are pretty simple machines as far as the mechanical portion. There is a huge precision component but the mechanical drives and operation aren’t very complex. Frankly the same can be said about a lot of woodworking equipment. In this case there is no obvious signs of abuse or neglect on the lathe.

Thanks for any help those of you with more knowledge can give.

Delete your post, and hope it does not alert others to this sale. ;)

No, they are great lathes, and unless it was abused, it will hold it's own against anything today. It is possible bearings could be required, but that is likely it. Oneway is pretty good about CS, should anything come up. The spindle size may be different than your existing chucks and accessories, but not a huge deal unless you have a huge collection already.

Best of luck.

I have turned on quite a few OneWays, and the most freakishly huge darn near whole tree trunks I have ever seen turned in online videos have been on the 24/36. Those things are tanks! I'd get it before someone else discovers it.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
So that brings me to my question. Is there anything to be majorly concerned about with a large lathe like this? It is 25 years old based on the ID plate. I understand that it may be missing some features found on newer lathes. Outside of that is there anything that would be problematic with a lathe this old?
Go for it. Most likely it will run perfectly. If you have any issues ONEWAY support is terrific.

As noted, I would have no concerns about the age of the lathe, but 2 suggestions in considering a purchase. The controls and the way things work on different lathes can make one lathe comfortable and another a hassle. Probably people get used to the aspects that seem strange initially, so maybe that's not a long term issue, but lathe 'fit' is one thing to consider. The other is space. A Oneway 2436 is a honkin big hunk of steel. There's no way I could fit one in my shop.

If you buy this lathe at a fantastic price, the worst that would happen is you sell it for a profit.

Back