• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Er32 collet

Is the robust and the Thompson tools only usable with there handle or could I buy a collet from Amazon make my own handle
And use either Thompson or robust in the same collet handle

And what is your choice of collet and where did you get it. Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
unhandled tools can be put in any handle that has a matching recepticle.
i make dedicated wooden handles for most of my tools.
collets of appropriate size would work. I don’t use them.
these are my tow Jamison gouges made by thompson
BE101B3D-2A4E-4098-AE50-847A04FB81D8.jpeg
I have a robust gouge in a similar handle.

I drill a hole about 3” deep. The ferrels are various brass or copper pipe fittings
i don’t glue my tools in at the start - a bang of handle end on a bench usually seats the tools for life.
if the tool ever gets loose I add a few drops of thick CA and reseat the tool banging the Handel on a bench.

i don’t know if the thompson and robust are the exact same diameter.
they each seat well in 5/8” drilled hole but wood is not metal.

Last edited:
Never tried the E32 collets. Jimmy Clewes makes nice collets of various sizes for tools. I make my own tool insert from aluminum. I prefer to remove the tool from the handle when sharpening. I buy aluminum 1 1/4” round bar stock and turn it down where I have 2 1/2 - 3” inside the wood with about 1 + inches exposed and use set screws to hold the tool. Some hassle for sure, but I end up with an insert that is inexpensive.

Edit: I should also add that fill my wood handles with used lead shot for added weight.

IMG_3359.jpeg

Last edited:
Never tried the E32 collets. Jimmy Clewes makes nice collets of various sizes for tools. I make my own tool insert from aluminum. I prefer to remove the tool from the handle when sharpening. I buy aluminum 1 1/4” round bar stock and turn it down where I have 2 1/2 - 3” inside the wood with about 1 + inches exposed and use set screws to hold the tool. Some hassle for sure, but I end up with an insert that is inexpensive.

View attachment 51986
Someone else told me the same thing but with black gas pipe

I turn most of my tool handles. I use copper pipe for ferrules. I do like to use removable collets for my gouges because it makes them much easier to sharpen at the grinder and I can also swap out tools that have the same shank diameter. Some of my collet tools have Robust collets and my other favorite is the setscrew type --one source is: Cindy Drozda.

Is the robust and the Thompson tools only usable with there handle or could I buy a collet from Amazon make my own handle
And use either Thompson or robust in the same collet handle

And what is your choice of collet and where did you get it. Thanks
Yes you can buy the tool without a handle from Thompson and D-Way. I buy the inserts from Cindy Drozda. They are Thompson inserts.

Another “turn my own handles”. For bowl gouges, I want removable handles for sharpening. I use the set screw tool holders from Cindy Drozda, I guess Thompson makes them. A lot cheaper vs the collet type.

Copper pipe for ferrules. A few tools, such as the tool holders, are too large for the pipe I have. I use heavy thread coated with CA as a ferrule.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Back