• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Extension

How many people use a 4 inch extension in there tail stock to make more room getting away from the tail stock
And where did you get it from. Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have several taper adapters.
one of them it’s aM2 to M2 adapter which essentially extends the taper.
it is probably about 4”. Aka Morse taper extender.

you will need a drift key to get the taper out of it.

I’ve used it more to extend the spur drive from the headstock when I wanted to drive a blank with a void in.
using this the spur can be close to 6” inside a hole and the blank won’t hit the headstock

hardly ever use it in the tailstock. I don’t even like to extend the ram too much
Does add length to a drill bit with a M2 taper.

lots of machinery places have them. Packard Woodworks or craft suppies should have them

I have several taper adapters.
one of them it’s aM2 to M2 adapter which essentially extends the taper.
it is probably about 4”. Aka Morse taper extender.

you will need a drift key to get the taper out of it.

I’ve used it more to extend the spur drive from the headstock when I wanted to drive a blank with a void in.
using this the spur can be close to 6” inside a hole and the blank won’t hit the headstock

hardly ever use it in the tailstock. I don’t even like to extend the ram too much
Does add length to a drill bit with a M2 taper.

lots of machinery places have them. Packard Woodworks or craft suppies should have them
Thanks will look there

Another resource... #2 to #2
I agree with Al, mostly used in the headstock.
Sometimes when I find I've painted myself into a corner, it's nice to have a bag of tricks (thread adapters, taper adapters etc.) to help me out.
If you decide not to get a drift key, you can use a screwdriver and tape measure. The screw driver to lever it out, the tape measure so you can tell us how far the ejected piece flew across the shop... Get the drift key... Finesse... sometimes better than brute force.

No I dont use an extension but I use a double bearing live center that provides enough space, as well as the screw on caps that are useful. I have the Savannah shown on the link below. Oneway is shown as well, and Robust has one. Robust also has a drive center with the external threading for the caps that works for centering various shapes.

Back