• Gallery Images: Title and Description Required

Please read the new sticky announcement HERE for full details.

• Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Field Guides for Identifying Trees

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good illustrated tree guide? A book with illustrations or pictures of the overall tree, leaf, bark, nuts/flowers/fruit and wood grain is what I am hoping to find. Color pictures are preferred over hand drawn illustrations but any really good recommendations would be appreciated. I am hoping to expand my knowledge from the half dozen or so trees I can i.d. for green turning. I am in Texas if it helps (regional trees).
Thank you.
Al in Texas

Thank you Richard. I just found it on Amazon and ordered it.
I'm still interested to see what other turners may recommend.
Al

Saved the Hobbithouse link too so I can cross reference if needed.

Since I started this thread and I'm in Texas I think he was showing me the Texas guide. He has the Illinois one and I found and bought the TX one from his link.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
candrwoodworks.com
I use an app on my phone called PictureThis that does a great job of identifying trees and plants. I ignore the purchase option and have used it free for quite a while. If you paid for it I believe it has lots of online guides, references and other info. I just use it to identify a tree or plant I see.

Al,
I have a few books that cover most trees in my locality. I often reference Peterson's Field guide to trees in the Eastern United States. They also have one for the Western States as well.
You can browse the first few pages here:

Last edited: