• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First time turning!

If someone would be kind enough to tell me how to post a new thread with pictures, I will show you my first piece of turned wood. Many thanks. BTW, it was fun and feel I'm on my way to a new addiction.

when you post - there is manage attachments button about 3/4 down the screen

Use it to upload your picture

I would suggest an original that is no bigger than say 640 x 480

Here is my first attempt

Hopefully, they will show up OK. Couldn't use the Manage thingy as the pix wouldn't transfer. Will try to do it another time and figure it out.
Firstturning001.jpg

Firstturning007.jpg

Firstturning011.jpg

Last edited:

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Welcome, John

Welcome to the addiction. I'm still looking for a 12 step program -- naw -- not really. Who would want to give this up?? :D

Your first turning looks good...nice straight spindle, no undulating or sloping surface that I can tell, and no obvious tool marks.

Keep on turning and posting!

welcome John, you can learn a lot from these guys and gals, enjoy :D

Thanks for the replies

I thank you for the replies and encouragement. My wife asked one time when I was going to get a cheap hobby.

John,
You are now hooked, tools will be next,there are gouges, hollowers,sanders,gauges,sharpeners,chucks, and many more you can play with. I hope you have heat and a cot in your workroom for your wife will be throwing you out of the house when she finds your new powermatic mistress in the shop. ha ha.
Next, find you a stump dump to get some blocks of wood from and start cutting green, you will love it. Gary

Back